Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found Screw in Rear Tyre

Options
  • 11-11-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Ok so came out to the dreaded flat tyre on Thursday morning.

Got round to fixing it yesterday thanks to the crappy weather but i have a quick question for you.

When taking the screw out im not sure if the tip broke off inside the tyre or if it entered the tyre already broken. After plugging tyre and adding air i tried spinning wheel to see if i could hear anything, but all i could hear was the noise of the chain running over the sprocket.

Question is do you think i should head to a shop on Tuesday and get it checked out and patched properly from inside tyre, don't want to risk doing any potential damage if part of screw is in the tyre.

I have attached pic of screw and also where i plugged it, very centre of tyre.

Was gutted as i only bought bike previous Saturday and it looks like this is still a very new tyre.

Any advice would be great

Thanks,
    G

%zQvmPB7TWGxSu6LKp64yw.jpg
    m5oq+kadSuWS6V%zJafWnQ.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I would be getting a new tire tbh.

It's the only thing between you and the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

It'll be grand..screw is that way from being run over numerous times....plug looks fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

It'll be grand..screw is that way from being run over numerous times....plug looks fine

Cheers, had something on the VFR last year and near enough same place on the tyre and plug held fine.

Just worried if there was anything left inside the tyre. Pressure held anyway and was able to get into work this morning with no issues. Will check plug again this evening and pressures to make sure no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Plug and play :)

Although I'd to replace a tyre last week when the puncture required two plugs, I wasn't taking a chance on that.

The tyres weren't brilliant, Conti Road Attack II's so I replaced them both with Metzeler Tourance Next.

I'd never replace a tyre just because I plugged a puncture. I doubt the screw head broke off inside and if it did I wouldn't cause any damage.

I'd never ever suggest this, and I'm sure it wouldn't shock Max.. But years ago when I hadn't a penny I'd often put adhesive onto a screwed and screwed it in tighter meaning to fix it soon, then completely forgot all about it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Although I'd to replace a tyre last week when the puncture required two plugs, I wasn't taking a chance on that.

The tyres weren't brilliant, Conti Road Attack II's so I replaced them both with Metzeler Tourance Next.

I'd never replace a tyre just because I plugged a puncture. I doubt the screw head broke off inside and if it did I wouldn't cause any damage.

I'd never ever suggest this, and I'm sure it wouldn't shock Max.. But years ago when I hadn't a penny I'd often put adhesive onto a screwed and screwed it in tighter meaning to fix it soon, then completely forgot all about it lol

Yeah..i remember doing it ..just get the nest size screw up and bung a load of glue on it till next paycheck...then get it repaired....NEW TYRE,!! how very dare you....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah..i remember doing it ..just get the nest size screw up and bung a load of glue on it till next paycheck...then get it repaired....NEW TYRE,!! how very dare you....:D

:D:D:D So I'm grand so, will just keep an eye over the next few days while riding to make sure no pressure loss.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Safest place for the tip of that screw is in your tyre!

If it was me I'd see if the plug lasts and would stick with it if all seems ok. And I'm as picky as anyone else about tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A few mm of screw bouncing around inside your tyre won't do any harm.

Actually once you're rolling it'll be sitting on the crown of the tyre and not going anywhere due to centripetal force.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Checked the pressures on my tyre this morning and noticed a big smooth chunk missing from the centre of my tyre. I can only guess i had a foreign object embedded in there and the tyre wore around it until it fell out. Thankfully I have new tyres ready to go on and these were almost done.

Any other ideas what might have caused it to wear like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

zubair wrote: »
    Checked the pressures on my tyre this morning and noticed a big smooth chunk missing from the centre of my tyre. I can only guess i had a foreign object embedded in there and the tyre wore around it until it fell out. Thankfully I have new tyres ready to go on and these were almost done.

Any other ideas what might have caused it to wear like this?

What make of tyre were was it.
    Any chance of photo of said tyre ware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some people running Pilot Road 3s underinflated got 'chunking' where a chunk of tread rubber breaks off.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It's the Dunlop rs3, near the end of their life now, they're nice and square. pic to follow.

Advertisement