Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circle K to Scotsman's walk roadworks

Options
  • 11-11-2018 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

How's it working out? I haven't been in town morning or evening since it started. I'd say Horkans , Mullens and Supermacs are feeling the pinch.

Having said that it's about time something was done along there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Around 7 week till they will finish:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The worst part is, Sligo bound traffic being diverted along The Old Bundoran Road, and though Ballytivnan.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    The worst part is, Sligo bound traffic being diverted along The Old Bundoran Road, and though Ballytivnan.
    Only other option is over Cartron Hill, which would be a disaster.

The work seems to be going very slow. They should be day and night on a job like that. It's definitely hitting the few businesses mentioned above very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm glad I'm not going into town these mornings. The road surface is fairly shabby from Abvie into the roundabout. What'll it be like by Christmas?

I'm sure Mullens would have to cut down on staff. I passed out at 2pm the other day and you could pick your parking space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Only other option is over Cartron Hill, which would be a disaster.

The work seems to be going very slow. They should be day and night on a job like that. It's definitely hitting the few businesses mentioned above very hard.

I saw similar stupid comment on the m7 thread.

Have you ANY road construction experience? From your comment I'll guess not.

Night time work is fine for simple works such as top layer macadam, but for anything else it's a health and safety issue on top of environmental noise (noise travels far further at night)

I know nothing about this project, but I know 24/7 works on a road construction project are simply not feasible unless an absolute emergency. Not just here, but worldwide.

But maybe you know better than world experts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Absolute disaster in he mornings coming in from the Manorhamilton Rd down by Yeats Heights to the shop. Traffic has come to a standstill a few times. Again along the road by IT to roundabout at tubs n tiles.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Absolute disaster in he mornings coming in from the Manorhamilton Rd down by Yeats Heights to the shop. Traffic has come to a standstill a few times. Again along the road by IT to roundabout at tubs n tiles.

I'm glad my daughter finished college this year. It would have been a disaster getting in for 8-45 to 9

Night time work is fine for simple works such as top layer macadam, but for anything else it's a health and safety issue on top of environmental noise (noise travels far further at night)

I know nothing about this project, but I know 24/7 works on a road construction project are simply not feasible unless an absolute emergency. Not just here, but worldwide.

I passed roadworks going full steam at 7:30 am in Donegal two weeks ago. The guys on the Bundoran road are working between the showers.

I guess from your comment you're a shovel leaner yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

They could work Sundays, surely? Cut a week off the completion time. Estimated end date is mid December. Hope they’re on schedule. Awful shame for Sligo to basically close one of the main arteries in to the town coming up to Christmas. Has to be done, I suppose though.

They could work Sundays, surely? Cut a week off the completion time. Estimated end date is mid December. Hope they’re on schedule. Awful shame for Sligo to basically close one of the main arteries in to the town coming up to Christmas. Has to be done, I suppose though.
    Noise travels further on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭imp1

I see someone complaining off stupid comments, then goes on to state
    (noise travels far further at night)
    Now that's a stupid statement.

What's the H&S issue, surely working when traffic volumes are low, i.e. at night would be safer.

The roadworks do seem to be taking an age, same in Ballisadare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Irony;)
    They are not working saturday(and finish at 5 on friday and i think the are starting around 9 in the morning) as well so over weekend they could do a lot of "good".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod/ No need to insult other posters so just drop the noise level a bit please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Mullens is being hit hard, I was in there last week was only customer in the shop and they've cut down their opening hours. Very tough on owner and staff when it does seem to be dragging out, much like the works on the same stretch of road past berties earlier this year.

promethius wrote: »
    Mullens is being hit hard, I was in there last week was only customer in the shop and they've cut down their opening hours. Very tough on owner and staff when it does seem to be dragging out, much like the works on the same stretch of road past berties earlier this year.
    They haven't cut their opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

the person behind the till told me they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

imp1 wrote: »
    I see someone complaining off stupid comments, then goes on to state
    (noise travels far further at night)
    Now that's a stupid statement.

What's the H&S issue, surely working when traffic volumes are low, i.e. at night would be safer.

The roadworks do seem to be taking an age, same in Ballisadare.

I suggest you check up on scientific fact before challenging something.

I'll take scientifically proven facts thank you and most kids will learn that in junior school http://www.hk-phy.org/iq/sound_night/sound_night_e.html

H&S is very little to do with traffic. Machines with moving parts + darkness albeit with some portable artificial lights + several workers is a H&S nightmare.

I learn all my science from poorly translated Hong Kong based websites.

The blazing heat of the Bundoran Road in November probably not something that causes such a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

promethius wrote: »

Not a lot of sympathy for Brendan (think thats his name), he's been making a mint in that spot for years. I remember queueing for 45 mins in for a breakfast roll 8 odd years ago and little has changed since.

Road works are short lived. I've no doubt they'll weather the storm and live to fight another day.

Not a lot of sympathy for Brendan (think thats his name), he's been making a mint in that spot for years. I remember queueing for 45 mins in for a breakfast roll 8 odd years ago and little has changed since.

Road works are short lived. I've no doubt they'll weather the storm and live to fight another day.
    That's some level of bregudgery. He's put a lot of hours in over the years, that's why he's done well there.

He's not cutting staffs hours now while they're quiet due to the roadworks so he's paying them out of his own pocket for what will now be an extended period due to the slow progress being made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

That's some level of bregudgery.

Not necessarily. He's had many years of good trading there and profits, and thusly should be able to weather a short term lull due to roadworks. I don't begrudge him at all, like you say he's worked hard for it but I likewise have no sympathy either. We all have to go through periods of good and bad, this is no different.

Conversely, I have no doubt that there's an option of recourse for him if the loss in business is directly attributed to the roadworks via insurance or other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭imp1

I suggest you check up on scientific fact before challenging something.

I'll take scientifically proven facts thank you and most kids will learn that in junior school http://www.hk-phy.org/iq/sound_night/sound_night_e.html

H&S is very little to do with traffic. Machines with moving parts + darkness albeit with some portable artificial lights + several workers is a H&S nightmare.

That link points to the variation due to temperature, not day / night. Propagation effects on a warm summers night are not the same as a cold winters night.
    Yip Ying-kin may be a very fine author / translator of kids books in Hong Kong, but is not a scientific authority that I have come across previously in the field of acoustics.
    I can't believe that H&S on a roadworks site has little to do with traffic, have you ever seen the 'Kill your speed, not our workers' signage, and similar.

Another problem is the tar sets quicker in cold weather. It stays softer for longer in the summer.

I passed out there today about 11 today . Looked to be a few around Horkans/Mullens. Nothin special but it wasn't dead. They look to be going down a good depth. The same as out the road. It's not just a veneer of tar and stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

In fairness, there's two housing estates backed onto that road. I can imagine trying to sleep with the racket going on at night, not really feasible.

Perhaps the option of doing Sundays should have been considered, I'm sure the cost on top would have been significant though.

Advertisement