Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you tackle a question on Hamlet in English? (HL)

Options
  • 11-11-2018 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I hate all Shakespeare. I just don't enjoy them. I'm studying hamlet right now. We just started it. I learnt of key quotes from act 1 scene 1, the important characters in the scene and the plot in act 1 scene 1 but honestly, I'm just confused on how I will tackle a hamlet question. Any tips? Do I learn techniques, themes per scene orrr?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Wait until you’ve actually finished reading the play to worry about tackling questions! Your teacher will cover that with you in class. Just enjoy the story as much as you can and try to develop your own opinions about the characters and themes as you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

I can totally relate to how boring studying hamlet is and also how confusing that the language used by Shakespeare is , my class is studying hamlet at the moment too . My teacher recommended that you can get full notes and translations from sparknotes.ie.
    Don't get yourself too worked up over it . Try to find a way to summarise the events in each act as you go along so you can refer back to them coming up to tests. pick the quotes that you personally want to use and feel that they are going to be useful or some what important to your studying of hamlet. Only take a max of six major quotes from a scene as to not over do it with the learning.

Mainly try to listen and do the homework when given that is given by the teacher . If you do this and learn your quotes bit by bit , you should be fine.

If you have any quiries then ask your teacher or me if you please . I will try to answer them if I can ? Or I will try to find an answer for you.
    Take it easy tho you will be grand!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't learn off notes, make your own.
    Read the question properly, break it into its elements and make sure you cover all parts of the question in your answer.
    Make your own notes.

Don't get hung up on the Shakespearean language. If you don't know what is going on, watch a modern language version.

Hamlet is quite a good story, revenge, jealousy, paranoia, it has it all.

Make your own notes.

Advertisement