Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery from Samsung with broken screen

Options
  • 10-11-2018 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to recover data from a Samsung J5 which has a broken screen and cannot be unlocked or accessed.

All I've got access to is laptop, USB cable and the new phone (J6).

Any ideas as to how I can do this. I found an app to download into my laptop but it turns out it doesn't work with J5.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone able to help before I have to take this into a shop to fix?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Smart switch app over WiFi or USB cable any good?
    Probably depends on how smashed the screen is. Just got a new j6 and if your old phone is samsung it looks like you don't need smart switch installed on the old phone, my old one was Motorola so can't confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stick a new screen in it....you can't get by the lock otherwise.
    You could try something like this https://www.samsung-messages-backup.com/samsung-recovery.html
    Is all the data not backed up to your Google account if you had auto backup on.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

Try MoboRobo... install it on your laptop ( hopefully it's not the one you've already tried), I've used it a lot and always come up trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is the screen visible when powered on?
    If it is, a USB mouse with a micro USB connecter can be used to input the unlock code and you can then mount the phone in whichever your preferred copy tool is.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Is the screen visible when powered on?
    If it is, a USB mouse with a micro USB connecter can be used to input the unlock code and you can then mount the phone in whichever your preferred copy tool is.

No screen is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

You can pick up a connection with usb/hdmi to micro usb relatively cheap ,plug it into a tv/monitor and plug a mouse into it and transfer all up to dropbox

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Samsung community reckon the below pc install could work in cases like this, might be worth a shot before replacing the screen if it's completely blank...

https://drfone.wondershare.com/android/access-android-phone-with-broken-screen.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mightyreds wrote: »
    You can pick up a connection with usb/hdmi to micro usb relatively cheap ,plug it into a tv/monitor and plug a mouse into it and transfer all up to dropbox

Can you get by the security via a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Can you get by the security via a keyboard?

not 100% sure I only used the mouse with it , have no exp plugging in a keyboard or if its doable even

actually you can plug keyboards into tablets so i'd say it will work the same

• Advertisement

I've got the cable but all the apps require some fiddling on the phone to set up access permissions. So I'm no further on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 funky sausage

did you find anything??

Nope - the apps were not compatible with the J5. Most might work with the S series phones.
    I'm going to get the screen fixed.

Advertisement