Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenhouse

Options
  • 09-11-2018 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Going to build a greenhouse out the back : Strip foundation ,Dwarf wall ,Timber frame fixed to wall and either corrugated plastic or polycarbonate .
    Can I build blocks on edge directly on the foundation or do I have to lay a couple on the flat first ?
    I was going to use a 4 x 2 sole plate and studs at 16 inch centers or should I use a 6 x2 sole plate with a drip groove ?
    And a dpc under the sole plate
    Should I use a 4 inch or a 6inch block on edge to receive the anchor bolts?
    Any helpful comments or criticism would be hugely appreciated!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If your foundation is good and level you can put the blocks on edge. The only reason you might put some down flat first is if the level wasn't good and you wanted to level up.

Don't decide on centers until you have checked the sizes of the sheet material you are using. No point doing 16 inch centers if say your sheeting is 2ft or 4ft wide.

You can use straps to anchor the sole plate which can be better as they can extend a foot or so up into the main frame. A few smaller rawblots or frame fixers to hold the sole plate down then 4 galvanized straps near the corners. If you want you can even set the straps in the foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Seamybeag

Thanks for that my3cents. Makes sense to see what size sheets are! Should have foundation ready to pour for next weekend

Advertisement