Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH and 3rd party VOIP

Options
  • 09-11-2018 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭

First of all let me say that I have eir FTTH but the phone line is still connected via copper cable.

Second I have set up a VOIP account in the eir router, and this works for outgoing calls to numbers (not setting this up for incoming), but although the set up page allows me to add a voip account URI in the speed dial list it never succeeds in calling that URI.
    All other entries in the list, using phone numbers work.

If I enter an invalid string for the VOIP account I want to call, it is rejected.
    So some checking is being done to ensure the entry is in a valid format for a VOIP account.

(Pet hate: The speed dial numbers are not listed in any order I can find .... neither by speed dial number nor by the name associated with that number. I have been unable to find a means of listing them properly.)

To the question:

Has anyone succeeded in calling a VOIP account URI ... in the format
    [HTML]myfriend@myfriendsSIPorganisation.org[/HTML]
    using the method I described above?

(If anyone knows how to arrange the speed dial entries in some reasonable way I would also appreciate a head's up ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

F2000? Checked the SIP ALG box?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ED E wrote: »
    F2000? Checked the SIP ALG box?

Thanks.

Yes F2000

All four entries under ALG are enabled and the SIP port specified - 5060

EDIT: an example of the call log to a test for music on hold
    2018-11-09 17:00:13 Outgoing 1 <my.account> music@iptel.org SIP 00:00:00 Audio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Try prefix the URI with "sip:"

sip:myfriend@myfriendsSIPorganisation.org

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Try prefix the URI with "sip:"

sip:myfriend@myfriendsSIPorganisation.org

That fails the 'number' check .......
    Invalid phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »

Thanks .... but unfortunately not the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thanks .... but unfortunately not the answer.

I've told you before that it is likely not possible with the F2000. This direct SIP calling is nearly always an option one has to explicitly enable in an ATA. There is no such option in the F2000. It is meant not as a fully functional VoIP device but something that ISPs can replace PSTN with. It is also likely that the eir SIP server does not support it.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/direct-sip/

I've told you before that it is likely not possible with the F2000. This direct SIP calling is nearly always an option one has to explicitly enable in an ATA. There is no such option in the F2000. It is meant not as a fully functional VoIP device but something that ISPs can replace PSTN with. It is also likely that the eir SIP server does not support it.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/direct-sip/

Yes indeed you did, but that left the possibility open.
    I like to exhaust all the possibilities before I give up. :D

To be honest, during my use this last week of this F2000, I have come to the realisation that it is severely limited in many aspects.

I might have to look into replacing it with something more user friendly to avoid those limitations. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yes indeed you did, but that left the possibility open.
    I like to exhaust all the possibilities before I give up. :D

To be honest, during my use this last week of this F2000, I have come to the realisation that it is severely limited in many aspects.

I might have to look into replacing it with something more user friendly to avoid those limitations. :(

Sensible approach. Life is too short for crappy chinese hardware.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Sensible approach. Life is too short for crappy chinese hardware.

/M

I have long fancied your favourite ..... one from the Fritz!Box range, but I will need to make a serious comparison with Draytek to decide, assuming they have a model to suit (not investigated as yet).

• Advertisement

I have long fancied your favourite ..... one from the Fritz!Box range, but I will need to make a serious comparison with Draytek to decide, assuming they have a model to suit (not investigated as yet).

I had the early Draytek VoIP routers, too. They are NOT shabby. Loved them.

I've been dealing with VoIP ( professionally ) over 20 years .. And you don't find many people that can prove that.

So .. either way you pick (Fritz!box or Draytek) .. you won't be let down.

/M

I still use a ~15 year old Draytek 2910 which has been in continuous use since I bought it.
    I very much liked its VOIP setup which is why I got that model.
    It gets little traffic these days, but continues to serve as reliably as ever.

Thanks for the response. ;)

I still use a ~15 year old Draytek 2910 which has been in continuous use since I bought it.
    I very much liked its VOIP setup which is why I got that model.
    It gets little traffic these days, but continues to serve as reliably as ever.

Thanks for the response. ;)

The first one of those I had was a DrayTek Vigor 2600VGi. It was such a leap forward back then.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Would definitely recommend the Fritz!Box, they have some interesting features you might get use out of, including:
    * A built-in DECT base-station, so you can register your cordless phones directly to it.
    * The ability to use your analogue PSTN line like a SIP trunk, so you could receive calls on your Eir line, and still make calls on your VoIP service from the same handsets - it is essentially a mini PBX.
    * Also lets you block calls by prefix, handy for blocking 118xx or 15xx numbers without paying for the privilege.

I have been trying to trawl though specs and reviews to get a better idea of what the capabilities of both are.

One item that caught my attention was the actual throughput/bandwidth of the devices with the firewall turned on.

One device I found this info for showed 300Mb/s max with firewall on.

Would this be usual for a "1Gb/s" device?
    It struck me as a huge 'hit'.

I do have a requirement for the device to register multiple VOIP accounts, and also to be able to specify what calls use which account.
    On my present VOIP device (Draytek) this is done on a per call basis, specified in the Dial Plan/Phone Book entry.
    A comprehensive DigitMap set up would also be needed.
    (hopefully easily understood by the user unlike that in the F2000)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

I have been trying to trawl though specs and reviews to get a better idea of what the capabilities of both are.

One item that caught my attention was the actual throughput/bandwidth of the devices with the firewall turned on.

One device I found this info for showed 300Mb/s max with firewall on.

Would this be usual for a "1Gb/s" device?
    It struck me as a huge 'hit'.

I do have a requirement for the device to register multiple VOIP accounts, and also to be able to specify what calls use which account.
    On my present VOIP device (Draytek) this is done on a per call basis, specified in the Dial Plan/Phone Book entry.
    A comprehensive DigitMap set up would also be needed.
    (hopefully easily understood by the user unlike that in the F2000)

The Fritz!Box 4040, 7490, 7530, 7560 and 7590 are all capable of GBit/s throughput with firewall turned on.

With other routers, it really depends on the CPU in the device. We've tested our Mikrotik offerings extensively and categorized them based on their performance and what packages we offer.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Would definitely recommend the Fritz!Box, they have some interesting features you might get use out of, including:
    * A built-in DECT base-station, so you can register your cordless phones directly to it.

You have to be selective though. Fritz!Fon, Siemens and Gigaset work fine, but for example BTs DECT phones or Panasonic, Caller-ID won't work.
    * The ability to use your analogue PSTN line like a SIP trunk, so you could receive calls on your Eir line, and still make calls on your VoIP service from the same handsets - it is essentially a mini PBX.

Only if you buy the high end model (7490, 7590). The 7530 and 7560 are IP only fritz-boxes, so can't receive PSTN or ISDN calls on the land-line. They will only take calls via SIP trunk from a VoIP provider.

It seems the 7590 is the router I need.
    The others don't appear to have the functionality I need.

Next I have to decide whether it is worth the money to buy one now, or to wait until next year when my existing broadband contract expires and see if I get one from my next provider.

I can continue to work with the existing set up.
    The double NAT does not affect outgoing calls, and the landline is used to receive almost all calls.

Advertisement