Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canaries in Feb recommendations

Options
  • 09-11-2018 2:45pm

as above, I intend to go to the canaries in Feb.
    This is pure lazy relax holiday, & also some needed daylight & sun for my Nordic boyfriend!
    So, I figure Gran Canaria or Tenerife would be the best, weather wise? I'm really not familiar with the islands, so am looking for recommendations of resorts & accommodation.
    We like places were there are things to do / see & also nice restaraunts. No wild night clubs or anything like that. Maybe somewhere with an old town centre?
    & good value, don't really want to spend over 1000e on accommodation.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

It's said ( and can vouch from experience ) that the south of Gran Canaria especially the area around Puerto de Mogán and Puerto Rico has the best climate in the Canarian winter. However because of that prices in GC in winter can be a lot higher than summertime. Puerto de Mogán is very pretty ( nicknamed the Venice of the Canaries ) with lots of restaurants and a lovely beach but eating out can be expensive. Also it's the last stop on the road as it were (google maps it and you'll see) so if you want to see any of the island you have to bus/drive a bit. Puerto Rico is a lively resort ( very popular with the Irish) with all that goes with it.

Tenerife weather would still be pretty good. Our stays have been in Costa Adeje just on the north of Playa de las Americas on the west coast. Its a large town but with good value restaurants and shopping, some good beaches and close enough to the major natural attractions. ( Mount Teide, Los Gigantes ). Close to Los Cristianos where you can ferry across to La Gomera for a day trip and lots of interesting sea life (there are lots of whales & dolphins off the west coast near Adeje ) If you walk south from Costa Adeje you end up in Playa de las Americas which is the largest/busiest resort town.

In each of the above airport to main resorts max 45 mins by car which is the best way to see the islands really and car hire is cheap enough. The cost of transfers would almost cover a car for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

For weather don’t look past Puerto Mogan as mentioned above. Stay away from Lanzarote weather very very unpredictable in winter there windy and often cloudy. Cheaper accommodation than GC and TF but weather wise a bit iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

bubblypop wrote: »
    as above, I intend to go to the canaries in Feb.
    This is pure lazy relax holiday, & also some needed daylight & sun for my Nordic boyfriend!
    So, I figure Gran Canaria or Tenerife would be the best, weather wise? I'm really not familiar with the islands, so am looking for recommendations of resorts & accommodation.
    We like places were there are things to do / see & also nice restaraunts. No wild night clubs or anything like that. Maybe somewhere with an old town centre?
    & good value, don't really want to spend over 1000e on accommodation.
    Thanks

I've never been to the Canaries either but have wanted winter sun myself too, so i am also interested in hearing opinions on 'nice' places to go to.

thanks all, I think in or around Puerto Rico would be the best choice.
    so any good hotels or apartments in that general area anyone can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Currently in mas palomas and love it. Raining today but has been in the high 20s since Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

We like places were there are things to do / see & also nice restaraunts. No wild night clubs or anything like that. Maybe somewhere with an old town centre? ........

I'd say base yourselves in Las Palmas (GC). Its a genuine town with a genuine history rather than a place built for mass tourism.

Even if you have no interest in things botanical spend a restful half day in the botanic garden on the road up to Santa Brigida ( IIRC it was originally created by a scandinavian ).

If you are into hill walking then consider the northern half of Tenerife.

GC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPIYwdBvZQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SSiMBpn-M

Tenerife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QTOkB3rKVE

What do people think of maspalomas? Is it very like Playa Del ingles?
    Very built up area?
    Have to book somewhere soon!!

Very built up area?

Maspalomas is more spread out and low rise. The apartment complexes are well spread out with plenty of space and a lot are bungalows or at most duplexes. a lot of the hotels have been very much upgraded in recent years and those are mostly close to the seafront. The apartments can be a good distance back ( due to the dunes being in front of many of them ) but many of the accommodations offer courtesy bus to/from the beach. It's a much more calm environment than PDI. Restaurants would be more expensive than PDI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Very built up area?

Go to Mogán🙂

Go to Mogán��

Puerto de Mogán (AKA Venice of the Canaries) is our favourite spot in GC. A bit limited if you want a lot of long walking as it's in a little valley, compared to Maspalomas which has plenty of long walks. But the beach there is excellent, clean, with smoking and non-smoking areas, horseshoe shaped with protection from the open sea. restaurants to suit all tastes and prices. It can be quiet on an evening and is not by any means a party town which suits us. It also has the best sunshine record of the Canarian Archipelago.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I booked a place in Puerto Rico, hopefully will visit Mogan & a few other spots while we are there.

Thanks guys, I booked a place in Puerto Rico, hopefully will visit Mogan & a few other spots while we are there.

PR is a good in between spot about halfway between Mogán and Maspalomas. Good sandy beach again protected from open sea. Haven't stayed there but usually visit for a day trip. Nice walk along the coast to Amadores. All boating & scuba biking etc. available. Enjoy !

Advertisement