Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal underpants - what do you recommend?

Options
  • 08-11-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭

I have long thermal underpants made from polyester that I bought in a sale in Mountain Warehouse a few years ago for €5. They are ok. But I want an upgrade.

My requirement is quite simple this time. I just want the best there is :) They need to be warm and comfortable even on a long days hike in wet / icy conditions

The the rest of my clothes is ok. I have a selection of base layer t-shirts and I must say I quite like a very skinny t-shirt I have that is made from marino wool

What should I get? What do you recommend? Size about 35-36" waist and about 32-33" length. Any link would be great too!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Merino wool thermals are great. Icebreaker are a good brand but can be pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for Icebreaker Merino. They do them in 3 different "strengths" for different temperatures. Merino wool also has the advantage that it is odour resistant.

Got mine in 53 degrees north.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Icebreaker Merino x-large (they are slimfit, I probably need x-large so) for GBP31 seems a bargain. No mention of the different strengths there, Alun

Linky

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It says 200 on the label going by the customer images so that mean's they're lightweight.

If you look on the left on the icebreaker site here you can see the 3 different weights. So 200 is the middle one basically: https://eu.icebreaker.com/en/mens-baselayers

Perfect. Ordered. Thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For baselayers, they do 3 weights (sorry, I used the word strength, couldn't remember the term they used) 150, 200 and 260.

The 150 is described as Ultralight - All Season, the 200 as Lightweight - Cool conditions and 260 as Midweight - Cool conditions.

I have a pair of 260 weight Bodyzone leggings which I wear if it's really cold out, although if I do wear them and it turns out to be not as cold as forecast, they're not oppressively warm and they wick away any moisture really well.

However if you're looking for something to wear regularly all the time in normal conditions you might be better off with the 200, or even the 150.

I only usually wear my cheap polyester ones when it's really cold. So I'd say the 200 is fine for me. From the comments in Amazon, XL seems to be the recommended size for someone normally on L (36") for trousers

Bought, worked out at €36.53 including shipping to my door. Which I'm really pleased with!

Ordered on Thursday evening, received the next Monday morning. Can't really argue with that either. Fits fine, glad I went for XL though my normal size would be L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

keep an eye on Sportpursuit
    I use them all the time and bargains to be had for all things outdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the aldi cycling merino wool base layers are good value, you just need to know when they do them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I actually did buy the Aldi merino wool base layers. But when I tried them on for the first time (about a month later) they were too small and I had to return them. At that stage there were no other bigger size ones left that I could change mine for

They felt good quality and they were about €23 or so iirc. The Icebreaker ones feel better quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Lidl are currently doing merino base layers as part of their ski wear this week.

Edit - and they're coming to Aldi on Sunday.

Advertisement