Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 acre plantation Have a site ready for felling. Road sorted. 31yrs old never thinn

Options
  • 07-11-2018 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Have a site ready for felling. Road sorted. 31yrs old never thinned spuce larch and lodge pole pine. Looking for tips on selling it eg sell it standing or cut. Price per ton etc located on the cork/Kerry border.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll really need expert opinion if you are not fully au fait with the trade.
    Not thinned means possibly little saw timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Best bet is to sell standing, the purchaser takes on all the risks and costs.
    Try multiple avenues of sale and talk to people that have sold timber before.
    From buying and selling timber is the west limerick/ north cork area for the last couple of years, the growth rates are very good so 31 should yield a good crop.
    It's value will largely depend on the percentage of sawlog in the stand, it's the bread and butter of our industry and gets the highest price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hempel

well got a price off a our forester there lately sawlog making in around 80 a ton was upto 100 at one stage.he says to hold on for a better price but with brexit god only knows. the pine is worth **** all 3 or 4 euro a ton to us after harvesting im guessing.have my own wood processor so should I sell the pulp while theres demand or chop it up and sell it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

3 or 4 euros a ton for pulp seems quite low for that area and a clearfell 🀔 10 to 15 euros is what you should be looking at.
    Keep some pulp and sell the rest, it's alot of work processing 600 ton of pulp...
    I'd imagine 14 acres, unthinned there should be about 2,200 ton in total. Still should be a nice pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hoogle

try the forest owners coop in west cork. www.focs.ie. a private growers group who harvest down there

• Advertisement
Advertisement