Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faux Super Hero Hate

• 06-11-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else notice this phenomenon lately ? over on the boards movie page , you can't go into any thread lately (non superhero ones) without seeing a post having a go at Super Hero Films and i've noticed the overly poplular tagline Super Hero Fatigue aswell, which to me is a ridiculous sounding statement to make , Now more than ever there is so much quality and selection of content out there now , superhero movies make up a very small place in this when you look at it , and it always seems to be the marvel ones that are targetted

So is this become the cool thing to do , the hipster thing to do perhaps ? or are the film getting a hate because there so good and people will always try and knock success , despite constantly striving for things to be better

I love the Marvel Films and all of the others , there is massive successes and massive failures but there isn't as much as people make out and people always have a choice to see something else , This month alone I've seen A Star is Born, Bohemien Rhapsody and the new Halloween film,

there has been Avengers 3 , Venom, Ant Man and the Wasp , and i think Aqua Man at the end of the year

4 films across 365 days of film releases why the hate ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Some people dont like green screen movies.

Others think that Avengers 3 left everything hanging a bit too much... Venom was a bit of a blow out, Antman and Wasp was played for laughs...and missed...and Aquaman is a laughing stock before it's released....
    But as long as they make money, then the genre is here to stay and is going from strength to strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Comic book movies if done well can make a hell of a lot of money for Marvel & DC in the U.S. I think people who don't have any interest in them may become very jealous as they have become so successful when they are out in the box office. And that is if they come out at all because currently Marvel can put out some good movies pretty much every time for their fanbase. Some DC movies however like Wonder Woman 1984, Birds of Prey & The Batman Trilogy are suffered with long delays for an eventual release in the box office.

It is a kind of confusing opinion to give in a way because people who dislike this genre have plenty of other movies out there to watch in their own time. If a certain cohort of people dislike all types of comic book movies; will their own opinions have an effect on actual BO returns in the short term; probably not? It depends on a particular movie in question if it under performs based on opinions from the fans & itself becomes a commercial failure.

A few years ago; I heard a certain person online with a particular agenda in mind was caught out with making actual lies on reddit by making a thread on "seeing" Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice via a private screening before everyone else & before it came out to the public in cinemas in 2016. When people were looking at the trailers for the film on Youtube; it was completely at odds with what was going on with was written in this persons thread. This person who made quite a few lies to the fans probably did this to make a fool of himself. Comic book fans, who are fans of this movie before it's release, were being increasingly wary of themselves that somewhere along the lines; there was something that was completely wrong. They were taken for a complete fool by this person who made the thread in question. My own opinion on it is that he made it to increase the popularity of the film because it was probably done out of spite to hate on the fans. It is a pretty stupid thing to make outright lies like that to other people.

The most crucial thing here is that comic book fans can still go to the movies if they love them outright. People in the opposition side can moan about it till their cows come home when at home enjoying a class of chardonnay in their glass houses. Other sensible people out there can just ignore them & enjoy the movies in the cinema without getting slagged for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's a weird way to go about things for sure. I have no interest in the Harry Potter world so I don't go see the new fantastic beasts, I don't go on forums to take swipes at it, and I don't generally think about it. It would be daft for me to waste my time on something that's clearly not for me. To each their own.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It's because the most popular films out there right now are super hero films.

I read something about the concept of genrefication and "fatigue" is a necessary step in the evolution of a genre. A new genre is invented (Superman, lets say) then later the rules to how films in the genre become codified based on the most successful or the innovated that become the copied (Batman 89, X-Men, Blade, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Batman Begins, Avengers etc.). Eventually these rules become tropes of the genre and it must deconstruct itself by addressing them (Logan springs to mind, arguably Infinity War literally deconstructs the heroes :D ).

This deconstruction- which I do think we're sort of seeing now - defines the future of the genre. If it can't change, it fades to nothing with the very odd throw back nostalgia film (musicals), if it's somewhat successful it'll continue on in a reduced capacity (war movies), if it's successful it might be able to continue on (horror has reinvented and deconstructed itself over and over).

Of course, also, there is some snobbery to this attitude. I have one friend who would have similar tastes to me (would often go to the cinema together). He's studied film making, and in his eyes the worst possible thing you can do is something that is totally by the books. Something that adds nothing to the canon of cinema isn't worth his time.

For some reason, the thing that pisses him off about superhero cinema is the serialisation and the interconnectedness of superhero cinema- the very thing people like me were gasping for and holywood refused to provide for decades. For some reason, this doesn't "count". It's bias. It mightn't be for you- but it is its own thing, and not objectively bad.

I wouldn't mind, but dismissing serialisation in cinema is dismissing the history of it too. Serials were a thing in the golden age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I know a lot of people don't like superhero movies because the overall is always the same, world is in dangers and it gets saved

Thought the same way myself for a long time, just didn't bother with them but wasn't on here ragging on them for people who did enjoy them

Someone pointed out to me few months back that I still watch wrestling despite being fairly sure of the outcome in lots of ways, strangely that's what gave me the motivation to watch them and got through all the MCU movies in little over a month and loved them in the end

We all have pre conceived notions about some stuff though despite not watching it, reality tv and soaps get an awful lot of hate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be honest here: I kinda get the Superhero Fatigue syndrome, because I'm somewhat feeling it. I watched Ant-Man & the Wasp lately and by the end, while I was entertained, but it was all so manicured & lacked that vital spark. It also emphasised one flaw in MCU's long-form storytelling in that it's precisely that - a long game whereby inevitably you end up with these interstitials that don't really add up to much on their own. Where this a TV series you'd just shrug your shoulders and look to the next episode, but for €15, 2 hour nights out there's a mild sense of irritation that these sorts of films feel so much more ephemeral than action-blockbusters of yore.

Don't get me wrong; Ant-Man 2 was fine, perfectly entertaining but not particularly outstanding either: very much aggressively OK; and having also recently watched garbage like The Meg, I appreciate the fine differences between something merely being OK but still good.

I agree with Doctor Doom's assessment about the lifecycle of the genre though, it's very relevant in the pop culture discussion about where Superhero movies "are" right now. They're not niche anymore and through the MCU, have forced their way into the mainstream of blockbusters - and the zeitgeist of cinema itself. Marvel pushed itself to the top of the table, and this is the consequence of this.

Yet unlike most genres, the MCU is kinda fighting that late-period phase of deconstruction & inward reflection; long-form storytelling, where everything is connected and no one movie exists as its own entity anymore, runs counter to the traditional, evolutionary trend of a genre so you end up with something that feels like it's standing still half the time.

Nerdwriter1 did a good video on Logan being part of that deconstruction:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I do think Ant Man and the Wasp in the 1st place though was a bit of a bizzare choice for a sequel the 1st one was good and funny , but it didn't hold the weight and attention of some of the other big solo films (black panther, Doctor Strange)

I suppose my original gripe was not so much the fatigue part but more the disdain that some people treat the genre , going on a hot take here, but it sort of reminds me of Conor Mcgregor (yes he's a scumbag i know) but even before the whole bus thing people , but is it a thing that people like to knock something that is successful

Advertisement