Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical APN question

Options
  • 06-11-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭

I generally have a good understanding of tech but one thing I have never found a straight forward answer to is how APNs work exactly.

I know it's what is used to connect you to the internet etc but what determines what APNs you get when you get a new phone and put in a similar from an operator. Does Android request the APNs from the network or do the APNs get pushed from the network once the sim is inserted and they connect to the network mast?

I'm asking because I got charged for tethering on Vodafone recently even after removing the HS.vodafone.com APN. Reason I got charged is because it reappeared unknown to me and then charged me when I tethered.

On contacting Vodafone they said they could not stop the APN being downloaded to the phone. I really just want to know is this true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭corkie

Normally when you put a sim into a phone, the network will send the APN settings to the device. Usually been prompted by device to allow the install of the settings.

You check your APN in network settings and make sure it is as your network recommends.

As for tethering, most networks don't officially allow it, or charge excessive fees to do so.

On some device's (Apple) when you use tethering a separate APN is used than your normal connection. And hence your network can detect it.

There is apps and means to bypass the process, need to google it, because discussion of same is probably not allowed here.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Branded devices (bought from Telco) may be preloaded with APNs in firmware.

Otherwise you receive a "OMA Provisioning Content Message" - a fancy SMS. At a guess you've some unusual device that VFs infra detects as an MBB device and sends the matching APN. But its a guess. Not a RAN engineer.

Advertisement