Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightscopes & launch monitors

Options
  • 06-11-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

I was wondering did any one purchase any of the above? With winter upon us and a lot of nites now to be spent at the range I am toying with the idea of purchasing one. More so to make the range more interesting. I have looked at 3 so far

1. Swing Speed Radar - About €150 measures your swing speed & also tempo simple and reviews are great meant to be very accurate but its really only measuring 2 things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RM3P-Tm0fU

2. Swing caddie SC200 - About €400 looks the business has ball speed, carry, swing speed, smash factor etc easy to use. Downside reviews are hit and miss with people saying it doesnt pick up all swings and can be very inaccurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfC1s7vWnBA

both are used and reviewed by Paul Wilson on you tube.

3. Flightscope Mevo - about €550 Has it all too and according to reviews is very close to Trackman numbers with Irons but Driver and swing speed + carry can be way off as much as 10% Its about the size of a box of smokes but you pair it with an app on your phone for the numbers. Reviews on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idkv2isz5k8

Has anyone used any of the above or something different that they can recommend? I looking for something mainly for the range. So rules out game golf.

Plus am interested in swing speed, carry distance for mainly driver & woods. Irons you can work out yourself or are easier too. Hence why the Flightscope is off putting as the driver no's can be way out...

Kinda leaning towards the swing speed radar cheap enough and Im sure if you get your swing speed up your distance will increase. Swing Caddie looks the best but with so many bad reviews and Shelling out €400+ to find out its inaccurate is very off putting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

Nor sure knowing what swing speed, smash factor, or ball speed would do for me. I do my level best to be smooth and consistent in ball strike without trying to murder the ball (sometimes it has to be done to vent a little, or out of the rough) and only years of practice have me there.

I used to (occasionally still) have a very controlled fade (reliable but no distance), did a good bit of time when buying clubs on trackman analysis and it showed up my spin rates top/back/left/right. Got lessons then on how to eliminate, pretty much change to swing path, action of the club face in particular/improved grip. It's hard work but there's much improvement.

The trackman results showed I had pretty savage (high/awful) back and right spin on the ball despite popping the ball in the same spot each time Getting these as low for straight/higher top/less backspin as possible has been key in me getting straighter and slightly longer especially off the tee.

This is what I'd suggest you need to consider feedback from in a device rather than faster/harder and work on that/seek lessons, or at least book a trackman session first and look at those stats, ball speed, swing speed wasn't much of a consideration for my development. You want to hit a ball further? Don't go faster, club up!!

Ball carry?, best place to gather this info is on the course by trial and error not at the range off mats with range balls,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

benny79 wrote: »
    I was wondering did any one purchase any of the above? With winter upon us and a lot of nites now to be spent at the range I am toying with the idea of purchasing one. More so to make the range more interesting. I have looked at 3 so far

1. Swing Speed Radar - About €150 measures your swing speed & also tempo simple and reviews are great meant to be very accurate but its really only measuring 2 things.

2. Swing caddie SC200 - About €400 looks the business has ball speed, carry, swing speed, smash factor etc easy to use. Downside reviews are hit and miss with people saying it doesnt pick up all swings and can be very inaccurate.

both are used and reviewed by Paul Wilson on you tube.

3. Flightscope Mevo - about €550 Has it all too and according to reviews is very close to Trackman numbers with Irons but Driver and swing speed + carry can be way off as much as 10% Its about the size of a box of smokes but you pair it with an app on your phone for the numbers. Reviews on you tube.

Has anyone used any of the above or something different that they can recommend? I looking for something mainly for the range. So rules out game golf.

Plus am interested in swing speed, carry distance for mainly driver & woods. Irons you can work out yourself or are easier too. Hence why the Flightscope is off putting as the driver no's can be way out...

Kinda leaning towards the swing speed radar cheap enough and Im sure if you get your swing speed up your distance will increase. Swing Caddie looks the best but with so many bad reviews and Shelling out €400+ to find out its inaccurate is very off putting.

I bought one second hand and ill find it great. Ball speed is very accurate according to reviews and swing speed reads a little high 4mph more than trackman. Smash factor is a calculation of ball speed divided by swing speed so 150 bs divided by 100ss would equal 1.5.
    Its a good thing the as reads a little high as it gives a conservative smash factor reading.
    As for usage its very easy to set up and it calls out the distances. There's a remote I keep in my pocket used to change clubs or get carry distances. Looking out on the range they seem surprisingly accurate. Look I know its not going to be trackman accurate but for 200€ its brilliant. There is a practice mode for just trying to max out your club distances, an approach mode for wedges and a target mode for iron distances where your scored on how close you get.
    I've heard the mevo is fiddle to set up as it comes with a sight line so you have to lie down to line it up. You also need to use a smart phone.
    I can take my sc200 to the course and plonk it down and its set. Its a no brainer IMO.
    If you want to go all out there's a trackman in the Wilson auction next week it might sell cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Skytrak at €2k is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Skytrak at €2k is really good

what would a full implementation cost - I believe its £2k for the Skytrack but would need projector screens etc to fully enable.

Also is it true that skytrak isn't mobile at all due to the nature of the system and the setup required with specific locations - that you basically set it up as a sim once and then don't move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I have found even with Trackman that the numbers on the range do not carry over to the course. Irish weather cold, damp, warm, humid you name it can have huge effect on distances your ball travels and that can only be measured on the course. Trackman has my drives consistently around the 260 mark and on course its more like 240 or less.
    I hit my irons harder, softer, choked down etc as almost no two iron shots are the same, for driver its different as you are trying to get a consistent strike but again its not so much club speed etc that bothers me the figures I want to know are face angle, clubhead path and angle of attack. Not sure what any of the cheaper monitors measure apart from the 'macho' figures (said with tongue firmly in cheek)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi Lads I added some youtube links to reviews above Should of really done this earlier.

evillive - I just looking to spice up my range session and see improvements plus I am into golf tech.

Montgolfier - I came very close to buying the Swing Caddie sc200 but the bad reviews turned me off but Paul Wilson rates it high but he's probably getting paid too. Glad to see someone has got one and I can get a boardie review :D I can live with it being out 4/5 mph high. May I ask where you picked one up second hand?

Golfgraffix - Skytrak at €2k is really good, it is but out of my price range unfortunately. Can you recommend anything for around €4/500 that you may have come across at the PGA shows?

I watch a lot of youtube bloggers like Mark Crossfield and the likes I recently came across Paul Wilson he mainly promotes how easy it is to speed up your swing speed & hit the ball further with less arms more about hips turning quicker and not having to smash it etc. Found it very interesting as I always was under the impression your swing speed is your swing speed and its was very hard to improve it. So going to be my experiment over the winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Hi Lads I added some youtube links to reviews above Should of really done this earlier.

evillive - I just looking to spice up my range session and see improvements plus I am into golf tech.

Montgolfier - I came very close to buying the Swing Caddie sc200 but the bad reviews turned me off but Paul Wilson rates it high but he's probably getting paid too. Glad to see someone has got one and I can get a boardie review :D I can live with it being out 4/5 mph high. May I ask where you picked one up second hand?

Golfgraffix - Skytrak at €2k is really good, it is but out of my price range unfortunately. Can you recommend anything for around €4/500 that you may have come across at the PGA shows?

I watch a lot of youtube bloggers like Mark Crossfield and the likes I recently came across Paul Wilson he mainly promotes how easy it is to speed up your swing speed & hit the ball further with less arms more about hips turning quicker and not having to smash it etc. Found it very interesting as I always was under the impression your swing speed is your swing speed and its was very hard to improve it. So going to be my experiment over the winter months.

The main thing I wanted it for was to get feed back for my hitting net in the garden and the driving range. It does the job none of them only the trackman maybe flightscope trace the full flight of the ball. All the others including skytrak measure a couple of feet the rest is a calculation. I also considered the Ernest 14 it shows flights but its also a calculation and direction isn't shown.
    I bought it on done deal but there are good deals on eBay also. I almost bought a skytrak but outdoor use is poor. I'm sure it would be great if you have an indoor set up. I was offered one through Facebook for 1500 with jpng which is only available on the older models. Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf its the best gaming set up apparently.
    Also I gained an extra club distance watching Bradley Hugh's YouTube channel worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭paulos53

Garmin have produced an interesting product for this market. With the Approach G80 they have combined a Launch Monitor and GPS in a single device

Pricing at around 500 euro means it won't be as accurate as something like a SkyTrak (which it is compared against in the review below) but might prove to be a good option in that price range. It also has some nice practice modes to make the driving range routine a bit more varied

https://practical-golf.com/garmin-approach-g80-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Benny I bought an ES14 a while back. You’re more than welcome to try it out.

• Advertisement

I wonder what the difference is in this and SC200 apart from the price!

Benny I bought an ES14 a while back. You’re more than welcome to try it out.

Cheers I might actually take you up on that! how do you find it? Is it accurate? Would you use it much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

I wonder what the difference is in this and SC200 apart from the price!

Launch angle and apex which the SC200 didn't. There also an app, think it's IOS only now but android app due in June.

https://topshelfgolf.com/collections/swing-caddie-golf-launch-monitors

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

GC Quad seems to be very popular these days, lots of the youtube guys have it along with Bryson...think it's slightly cheaper than trackman.

GreeBo wrote: »
    GC Quad seems to be very popular these days, lots of the youtube guys have it along with Bryson...think it's slightly cheaper than trackman.

The quad is pretty impressive, it’s camera based so great indoors and surprisingly outdoors the accuracy against track man is very good.

Foresight have also launched a range version, I saw it at this years PGA Show.

Is it a pita putting the dots on the clubface?
    I can see that getting old fast...

The quad is pretty impressive, it’s camera based so great indoors and surprisingly outdoors the accuracy against track man is very good.

Golfgraffix if you had say €400 - 500 to spend on a launch monitor for range say.. What would you buy?

looking around at some reviewers consensus seems to be that GCQ for indoors/simulators and Trackman for outdoor work...which is a PITA for me as I will want to use it for both I she ain't going to let me buy both.

Also very annoying that you have to pay 5K extra to use your trackman both indoor and outdoor, even though its the same hardware and there is a 2K maintenance fee per year (split 50:50 hardware and software) ....Flightscope guys also seem to be good at the price gouging too.

For 20K I'd really expect to be able to bring it home and do what you want, no strings attached.

GreeBo wrote: »
    looking around at some reviewers consensus seems to be that GCQ for indoors/simulators and Trackman for outdoor work...which is a PITA for me as I will want to use it for both I she ain't going to let me buy both.

Also very annoying that you have to pay 5K extra to use your trackman both indoor and outdoor, even though its the same hardware and there is a 2K maintenance fee per year (split 50:50 hardware and software) ....Flightscope guys also seem to be good at the price gouging too.

For 20K I'd really expect to be able to bring it home and do what you want, no strings attached.

I wouldn’t discount the quad for outdoors, it does work very well.

Advertisement