Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when VDSL FTTC has reached its distance does it revert to ADSL?

Options
  • 06-11-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

our cabinets in the village have just gone fibre live and i was wondering - when VDSL FTTC has reached its distance does it revert to ADSL after a certain distance or does the modem fall back from VDSL to ADSL or how does it work thanks am not that brushed up yet on fibre

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

our cabinets in the village have just gone fibre live and i was wondering - when VDSL FTTC has reached its distance does it revert to ADSL after a certain distance or does the modem fall back from VDSL to ADSL or how does it work thanks am not that brushed up yet on fibre

Nope, you will either be connected to one or the other. If you're out of spec for VDSL they will not install it and you will have to stay on ADSL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Nope, you will either be connected to one or the other. If you're out of spec for VDSL they will not install it and you will have to stay on ADSL

ah right thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Different entirely. In fact a line that has both sitting on it will be drowned out by VDSL.
    VDSL is a much higher bitrate the drawback of the technology is the range of it is hampered.
    The type of broadband gets jumpered on at the exchange or cab. Basically a wire gets run from the outbound side of a broadband port and stringed to the casewire feeding up to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Different entirely. In fact a line that has both sitting on it will be drowned out by VDSL.
    VDSL is a much higher bitrate the drawback of the technology is the range of it is hampered.
    The type of broadband gets jumpered on at the exchange or cab. Basically a wire gets run from the outbound side of a broadband port and stringed to the casewire feeding up to your property.

OK thanks - a lot of that went woosh over my head but thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Very basic:

- ADSL and VDSL can not co-exist on the same copper pair.

- ADSL always comes from the exchange.
    - ADSL can reach 5-6km

- VDSL may come from the exchange or come from a fibre cabinet.
    - VDSL can maximum reach 2km, but is only really useful at 500-800m.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Before my switch to FTTH I had the choice of staying on 15mbit adsl or switching to 12mbit VDSL. I think all new customers had no choice and had to go for VDSL if it was available to them.
    I'm about 1500m from the exchange.

Advertisement