Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat 5th Year ?

Options
  • 06-11-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

idk how to explain my situation properly but the school i currently attended makes me so depressed. i have a decent group of friends but all my close friends moved schools in 3rd or after TY. my school is just lowkey racist and they are very very biased. there are some decent teachers that i love at my school but the bad outweighs the good. i’m currently in 5th year and the thought of going to that school makes me not want to wake up. it’s a girls school and there’s constant drama and it’s just not a nice environment at times. i do care about my studies but i think my school is affecting it. i’m thinking of moving schools but i’d like to repeat 5th year from scratch. if i was to join the class next year would the course change ? like my history course ? or my english course ? would i have to learn a completely new textbook ?? any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

Well you really have alot going on there . You could repeat 5th year but do you really feel that it would be good for you ? Do you know any of the girls from the year below you ? If you do then maybe you should think about staying back so that you could hang around them and make some friends. I would like to say tho that friends arent the b all and end all of your life in secondary school. You will make friends ,loose some but it all changes when you leave school . Especially if you decide to go to college you will find out what your personal preference of qualities in friends are ? I can assure you that life will get better for you. I know this from personal experience and I am a fifth year student too.

As for the changing of your subject course books the only person that I could suggest to talk to that about is your teacher for that subject because she has to teach from those books so she might be able to give you answers on that.

Finally just hang in there your life will get better it will only seem bleak for a while . You have only just hit a patch in the bumpy road that your travelling on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any school you move to would probably make you repeat 5th year, though it becomes a little more complicated if you did TY. You are entitled to six years post-primary. If you repeat 5th year will you have done seven?

Have you investigated moving now/after Christmas rather than doing an extra year?

The History course won't change. The English will, in that there will be different poems/novels to do, but you will be in a good position with extra works already studied. Geography will probably be a different Field Study etc..

You should call the school out if it is tolerating racism.

Advertisement