Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience with Remmers Iq Therm - breathable insulation

Options
  • 05-11-2018 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi

has anyone used or installed this product?
    considering it for external walls on our solid wall house.
    not go prices yet but it looks good performance wise.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

why this product, with no certification paperwork visible?

Have you looked at competing products?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭booooonzo

Good question, I am a bit overwhelmed with trying to find answers on how to internally insulate tbh.

It just seems like good performance and easy to fit

http://www.remmers.co.uk/index.php?id=9&tx_remmersproducts_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=385&tx_remmersproducts_pi1%5Baction%5D=show&tx_remmersproducts_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=Product&cHash=e715aa9b2fa28c0a24b9b4572937a46a#content

I've looked at calci-therm , corklime render , aerogel, fiberboard
    none seemed to perform as well but im no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's breathable in the same way as a carrier bag with holes in it.

interesting! I take it ye reckon it's "capillary active mineral material tubes" are bull**** so?

interested to know if you have experience with it?

I guess there is no shortcut!

I initially spotted the product here snip which seem to have worked on some top projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

booooonzo wrote: »
    I've looked at calci-therm , corklime render , aerogel, fiberboard
    none seemed to perform as well but im no expert

That is a really BIG statement when you look at other stuff such as what is cited here, for example:
    http://www.ecologicalbuildingshop.ie/
    https://www.partel.ie/

You need to set out the differences you see that make your chosen product superior against your performance criteria

what exact issue are you trying to address with this project?
    what is the exact wall makeup?
    is there lime?
    is there a dpc in floor and walls?
    what is the ventilation system?

etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Data sheet says μ is 27 compared to 3 for Calcitherm.

So there is a big difference.

That is a really BIG statement when you look at other stuff such as what is cited here, for example:
    http://www.ecologicalbuildingshop.ie/
    https://www.partel.ie/

You need to set out the differences you see that make your chosen product superior against your performance criteria

what exact issue are you trying to address with this project?
    what is the exact wall makeup?
    is there lime?
    is there a dpc in floor and walls?
    what is the ventilation system?

etc

Main issue is house not been warm enough, I'm guessing a combination drafts, poor/no insulation and possibly under speced radiators on an oil central heating system.
    Goal is to get the house much warmer without causing damp issues with a view to possibly removing external render at some point in the future.

2 story/220sqm
    walls are 2ft thick solid stone (rubble i'd imagine). some rooms have existing standard stud dryling installed 10 years ago.
    No damp really, due to drafts possibly.
    mix of suspended and solid floors.
    remaining non dry lined internal walls are lime rendered.
    no dpc i wouldn't think
    ventilation = drafts

also looking at isover optima now.

I've been reading as much as i can on it and past posts and i find a lot of unresolved or conflicting information.

people in the know seem to be unwilling to give definitive advice.
    I'm unsure are they just weary of answering the same type of questions or if there are too many variable to recommend an actual system and approach that will work.

I've contacted a conservation architect so hopefully they can help and know their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Drifter231

Have you had any success or clarity as to whats the best way to move forward ? i have a 1930's block built house and i am looking at breathable solutions for walls as there are issues with the walls that have been sand and cemented . Can i ask who the conservation Architect is you are using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Drifter231 wrote: »
    Have you had any success or clarity as to whats the best way to move forward ? i have a 1930's block built house and i am looking at breathable solutions for walls as there are issues with the walls that have been sand and cemented . Can i ask who the conservation Architect is you are using ?

Why would you want breathable insulation on a concrete block wall, with sand and cement render??
    (not being a dick, that's what my wall make up is, and I was just gonna go with "standard" polystyrene.. Eventually)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LauraleeX

I ended up here in 2021 after reading Fergal McGirl Architechts advice on insulating period brick/stone built houses (article on their website)(can't link here)

Seems to me the iQtherm is the most interesting (low conductivity/good insulation value)(high breathability). I'm also looking into Isover Optima system to try to understand which would be better for our 1900 brick built townhouse. We have a small bit of rising damp in 2 corners and need to insulate the interior as external is straight onto a public footpath in the city centre.

Anybody installed in an old house? Insulation sufficient? Any damp problems after ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement