Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munich trip with family

Options
  • 05-11-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Traveling to Munich for five days with family next April.
    Two adults and three kids. Looking for reasonably good accommodation at sensible prices in the city in a good location.
    Every thing seems really expensive that I’ve found online.
    Would appreciate any help or suggestions from anybody that knows the city or can recommend any locations.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

What's your budget?

Anywhere near a U-Bahn station is a good location as the transport system is excellent.

Munich is not a cheap city to stay in. Due to a housing shortage it is illegal to rent private apartments to tourists.

There are also trade fairs on in April which will drive prices up.
    https://www.expodatabase.com/trade-shows-europe/germany/munich/april-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Thanks for that info.
    Had hoped to spend less than1200 euro for something reasonable.
    Don’t know the city at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

when in April are you going?

The Bauma fair (building machinery) is from 8 April to 14 April and is gigantic, I mean crazy big, and people book their accommodation up to 3 years in advance so theres next to nothing left in the city. let alone at a decent price.

If you are going at that time, then maybe consider shifting the main part of your stay to somewhere nearby, but still kindof far away, like Salzburg .

If not, then youre just getting caught out by having so many kids. Novotel, Holiday inn and others have 4 person rooms but rarely 5 person rooms.
    One trick may be to book a novotel for 4 and just have the spare kid stay on the floor. Novotel suites in Parkstadt schwabing have gigantic rooms.
    You could also attempt to book for 2 adults and 2 kids in one room in Novotel which then triggers a "second room for half price" deal, and there'll be plenty of beds for 2 adults and 3 kids.

The likes of Ibis budget have 3 person rooms for cheap, so you could just book 2 rooms and then youre sorted at a reasonable price.

If youre fixated with staying in the city centre then you'll not get anything cheap. But transport in Munich is really good, and cheap with group day tickets, and the ubahn has you to the interesting parts of the city centre quicker than walking from many city centre hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Thanks
    Those are my exact dates!
    That’s obviously why holiday inn want 2500 euro for accommodation for those nights.
    Never having been there myself, where would you suggest out a bit but still accessible to city?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Thanks
    Those are my exact dates!
    That’s obviously why holiday inn want 2500 euro for accommodation for those nights.
    Never having been there myself, where would you suggest out a bit but still accessible to city?
    I'd try Regensburg, which is getting an hourly direct train service from Munich airport from December for the first time, so will be very easily accessible.
    Regensburg air b n b
    Theres apartments for a reasonably humane price and you can get the "Bayern ticket" to make day trips to Munich or Nuremburg or Passau

Nuremburg might be a good one if your kids are a little older as theres the nazi marching grounds and documentation centre there which are worth a visit.
    Regensburg itsself is steeped in history, and Passau is really interesting being where the danube and Inn (the river which flows through Innsbruck) meet before heading all the way to the black sea, and has a very well preserved town centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Munich is expensive even on an off day, by far the most expensive city in Germany.

You could try Freising which is 15 minutes from the airport by bus, and will have a direct train service from end of the year. Its 20-25 minutes to Munich, safe, quiet town. Try the Marriott which is a normally fair on prices.

Alternatively just get the train to Innsbruck and hang out there, Best Western Golden Adler is the oldest hotel in Europe and even in high season its not going to break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

We are also 2 adults and 3 children, we spent our summer holiday in Munich and Bavaria. I found that I had to contact hotels directly to find suitable rooms for 5 or interconnected rooms. Make sure to double check they are booking what you want; I had at least 15 emails with a holiday inn reservations agent in which I thought I was booking an interconnected room but I wasn't! Fortunately I managed to cancel that one!
    We stayed in Erding, near the airport, for a day at the Therme(massive swimming pool and slides complex). The Erdinger Weissbrau hotel (yes the erdinger beer hotel!), whilst a tourist trap had a really nice room for 5.
    Check out the jedermann hotel near the Hauptbahnhof which has interconnected rooms, though we didn't stay there. We stayed 2 nights at Legoland Deutschland, though Legoland Windsor is better! We stayed at Ruchti's Hotel and Restaurant in Fussen, for Neuschwinstein Castle, it had a 5 bedded apartment type room.
    The highlight of our stay was the Eibsee hotel, for Zugspitze, though it is expensive!

Advertisement