Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap router (with VPN capabilities) for Virgin

Options
  • 05-11-2018 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can anyone suggest a cheap router that I can use in bridge mode with Virgin, and will allow me to access my home network remotely via VPN? Don't need anything fancy, just cost effective as possible.
    I'm currently with Virgin but intend moving to Vodafone or Eir after Xmas, so something compatible with other providers would be nice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Cheap and those types of features do not go hand in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mikrotik make some very affordable enterprise routers like this one. There's a bit of a learning curve though.

https://www.irishwireless.net/rb962uigs-5hact2hnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just realised they have now released a lite version

https://www.wifi-stock.co.uk/details/mikrotik_rb952ui-5ac2nd_hap_ac_lite.html

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

If you are happy with VM router and only want VPN access why not buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W and install OpenVPN + firewall and ad blocker.
    Much cheaper that buying a new router that could do VPN and other services.

Above router (Mikrotik lite version) have only 100Mb ports. Might not be the best option if you want to use cable connected devices.

P.S. you will need to contact VM to switch you to IPV4, they don't provide a private IP by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I upgraded to an Asus RT87U a few years ago and I bloody love it.
    Excellent Wifi Performance, rock solid and an intuitive and very capable UI.
    I was lucky enough to pick it up for @€;100 from Amazon warehouse and even with a Fritzbox as provided by my current provider, I've ditched (Bridged as no modem in the ASUS)it to keep everything running on my ASUS.
    The VPN options in particular on this router are very intuitive and the ability to swap on the fly between configs is very handy and when I move to SIRO it will do VLAN tagging too so its got plenty of use left in it yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement