Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Economics and finance UCD

• 05-11-2018 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello ! :) I’m currently in fifth year and have my sights set on economics and finance in UCD . I love maths and economics but I just have a few questions about the course .
    1. I am quite good at maths (I get H1’s however I do put work into my maths and it’s only October although we have had 8 comprehensive tests, I got an A for my junior cert ) I am just curious as to whether the maths is truly insurmountable in this course and would you have to be a maths wizard to succeed in this course ?
    2. What are the hours like in college on an average week ?
    3.I have heard the course doesn’t allow you to have a proper college experience because the work is so heavy . Is this true ? Can you manage to go on nights out and meet people even with the heavy workload ?
    4. Evidentially the class group are extremely academically capable seeing as the points are so high I was just wondering does this create healthy competition within the course or a toxic environment .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FluffyUnicorn

I'm also considering this course and would be really interested in any replies to Football2002's questions :)

On the first point I think you'd be okay, I'm in a similar situation in that I'm a H1 student but I'm not particularly enamoured with maths (or at least the LC maths course anyway) and I wouldn't consider myself a maths wizard. At the open day I talked to a current Ec&Fi student and he said that while he was never a "maths person" in secondary school, the Ec&Fi maths is doable and manageable with a decent amount of work. Then later in the Ec&Fi talk another current student spoke and said that the maths is tough and requires effort, but the impression I got is that if you put the work in you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Hello ! :) I’m currently in fifth year and have my sights set on economics and finance in UCD . I love maths and economics but I just have a few questions about the course .
    1. I am quite good at maths (I get H1’s however I do put work into my maths and it’s only October although we have had 8 comprehensive tests, I got an A for my junior cert ) I am just curious as to whether the maths is truly insurmountable in this course and would you have to be a maths wizard to succeed in this course ?
    2. What are the hours like in college on an average week ?
    3.I have heard the course doesn’t allow you to have a proper college experience because the work is so heavy . Is this true ? Can you manage to go on nights out and meet people even with the heavy workload ?
    4. Evidentially the class group are extremely academically capable seeing as the points are so high I was just wondering does this create healthy competition within the course or a toxic environment .

Third year E&F student here, here are some answers,

1) If you're good at maths you'll get on just fine. It's all Calculus & Statistics being applied to finance. There's no abstract maths that you would find in a pure maths or theoretical physics degree.

2) Same as every other course. Every degree has 12 modules per year, 6 in semester 1 and 6 in semester 2. Each module has about 3-4 hours per week. You can work out the hours from there.

3) Nah that's bull****. Although commerce and B&L would be more sociable courses. Just speaking from experience.

4) Every year is different. You get the odd few people who don't care about anything except being the best. Most people are grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Football2002

JackTC wrote: »
    Third year E&F student here, here are some answers,

1) If you're good at maths you'll get on just fine. It's all Calculus & Statistics being applied to finance. There's no abstract maths that you would find in a pure maths or theoretical physics degree.

2) Same as every other course. Every degree has 12 modules per year, 6 in semester 1 and 6 in semester 2. Each module has about 3-4 hours per week. You can work out the hours from there.

3) Nah that's bull****. Although commerce and B&L would be more sociable courses. Just speaking from experience.

4) Every year is different. You get the odd few people who don't care about anything except being the best. Most people are grand though.
    Thanks so much for this very insightful:)

Advertisement