Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlemont St / Harcourt Road business closing

Options
  • 04-11-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if it is being discussed elsewhere. Most of the businesses on Charlemont St and Harcourt Road now appear to be closed down. Has someone bought that lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hi all, apologies if it is being discussed elsewhere. Most of the businesses on Charlemont St and Harcourt Road now appear to be closed down. Has someone bought that lease.

Unsure but noticed today that Abra kebabra are gone now too, seemed to be a bit of a doomed spot in terms of new businesses starting up and quickly closing down not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Unsure but noticed today that Abra kebabra are gone now too, seemed to be a bit of a doomed spot in terms of new businesses starting up and quickly closing down not long after.

I figured that maybe the whole block was about to go because I think Abra and O'Briens closed on the same week.

That Abra Kebabra didn't close for one second during the snow last year. I literally past it at 4am, 4 inches of snow, not a soul in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

errlloyd wrote: »
    I figured that maybe the whole block was about to go because I think Abra and O'Briens closed on the same week.

That Abra Kebabra didn't close for one second during the snow last year. I literally past it at 4am, 4 inches of snow, not a soul in sight.

That was a strange place, they opened at noon every weekday I think and you'd hardly ever see anyone inside the place. That block does suffer a bit with footfall being poor as its more of a route out of the city and misses out on people walking the usual Rathmines -> Camden St route. As far as I know the Blonde Cafe is still open anyway on that row.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Abra and O'Briens are the same company at master franchise level so its very common for the same person to operate both (also Bagel Factory)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Had a chat with the Lady working in Blonde Cafe this morn who said it's their last month there, someone has bought the entire block.

Just realised I wonder does that probably include recently vacated spiceland, aussie bbq and the original hang tough space aswell.

Maybe the homeless shelter next to Raw Gym too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Portobello Pizza which wasn't open that long is also shut. Wonder is that site part of the redevelopment happening up at the top of Charlemont Street or separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That block is a dire mish mash of buildings in need of the wrecking ball in fairness. Shame about those businesses. I see Blondie is the only open one left. I must pop in for coffee before it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Neil Jordan filmed the café scene for his excellent movie, Angel (1982), with Honor Heffernan at this location. I haven't seen the film in decades. Maybe someone will watch it and let me know which shop it was. Café Blonde?

Advertisement