Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tree to replace ash

Options
  • 04-11-2018 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

What's your opinions on type of trees to plant in hedgerows and plantation in place of ash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Starchasers

148multi wrote: »
    What's your opinions on type of trees to plant in hedgerows and plantation in place of ash.

Has the existing ash being cut down/ or suffered from die back or are you planting a substitute where there was never ash before?
    The reason why I’m asking for is that I’ve heard of Asian varieties of ash for sale that are immune to die back disease which would be a good replacement even though they are not the native variety but I suppose needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

148multi wrote: »

I hedgerows I'd say that the ecological functions of the tree are most important, so other native species
    In plantations... for the firewood function of ash Birch is a good replacement, but for timber uses, no other timber has the same sweet set of properties as ash, sycamore will grow as quickly and produce lovely white timber suitable for furniture flooring etc, horn beam grows slowly but is wonderful firewood and makes good handles, spanish chestnut is naturally durable, strong like oak and grows more quickly and produces food.
    essentially there is no one species that is as good as ash in all of the uses we use ash for at the moment.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Has the existing ash being cut down/ or suffered from die back or are you planting a substitute where there was never ash before?
    The reason why I’m asking for is that I’ve heard of Asian varieties of ash for sale that are immune to die back disease which would be a good replacement even though they are not the native variety but I suppose needs must!

Where have you heard of these asian varieties of ash?
    I am interested............
    more info??????

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭148multi

Some will be replacing Ash, some will be new trees sprinkled through grassland.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

For hedgerows I'd use Rowan, Holly, native Cherry and Hornbeam. For open field, Sycamore and Maple seem to be as near as you'll get. There's also resistant Elm available from Europe, but not sure I'd trust it yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement