Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save €500+, per year, on TV + Broadband

Options
  • 04-11-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Many customers of Pay TV companies are reluctant to consider subscription-free alternatives. The fear they will lose ease of use and a wide range of additional features - ending up with a "bargain basement" solution. How would you like a low-cost, user-friendly service; that knocks the pants off typical Entertainment Bundles?
    Something that’s much cheaper, straightforward to get installed, and very easy to use?

Well here’s how:
    The subscription cost for Sky TV and Broadband, with their “Entertainment Package “ is currently €1,104 per year, once any introductory offers are finished.Other companies charge similar amounts, depending on the subscription.

If you already have Sky TV, not Sky Q, all you need for a decent TV service is
    • a replacement for the Sky Box , for just over €200, delivered.
    • Install the more user-friendly software, a five minute job, and replace the Sky Box. Cost €210 + a few bob to a “techie friend”, if needed.
    • To get all the features in this thread, and avoid a family riot, you’ll still need broadband. Don’t mind the ad’s, ultra-fast broadband won’t change your life. (Unless you’re a “Gamer”.)
    • Move over to Magnet for unlimited Fibre Broadband (Fatpipe 24 from Magnet), at €30 pm.
    Typical Savings: Over €500 (Year 1), Over €700 (following years)

You may need to get a Satellite Dish and/or TV Aerial installed, though many homes already have these.
    Budget around €150, if your techie friend can’t help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I don't have a television.
    I've saved €500+, x Z years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

zell12 wrote: »
    I don't have a television.
    I've saved €500+, x Z years

Great contribution

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

So the main bargain alert is to stop paying for sky? and watch free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Bojill wrote: »
    So the main bargain alert is to stop paying for sky? and watch free to air.

Thanks for your contribution, but no, that’s not the main bargain.

The bargain is a very straightforward, but advanced solution, for Tv and moving to the cheapest fibre broadband provider. If you browse the thread I linked to you will see just how User-Friendly, and Feature-packed, that solution is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭zell12

How much commission do Magnet pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I find myself watching some great TV shows while I'm casing houses use the auld glass cutter for audio.*

*Dramatisation may not have happened ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭micks_address

Iptv is not legal though?

I'd suggest anyone paying sky for basic free to air channels and recording facility is off their heads. Hard to get the sports that are on sky and bt sports legally without paying a sky sub. Enigma boxes while great are a but tricky and certainly not for someone who doesn't have some computer skills for config etc..

zell12 wrote: »
    How much commission do Magnet pay?

Now, now, play nice...

Not much room for commission, with a lead in price of €20 pm.

Seriously, I cannot believe the value. It is faster than the DSL Broadband I had from Sky, previously. I streamed a live HD broadcast from Arte, with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is that Magnet price plus line rental?

Iptv is not legal though?

I'd suggest anyone paying sky for basic free to air channels and recording facility is off their heads. Hard to get the sports that are on sky and bt sports legally without paying a sky sub. Enigma boxes while great are a but tricky and certainly not for someone who doesn't have some computer skills for config etc..

I agree, but I couldn’t get the family to move from them. The User Experience is just so good. I’ve had FTA boxes for years, but I was the only one who would use them.

The software I configured for the Tiviar, gives a fantastic user experience, and is now rated by the guys as better than Sky. The only setup required is:
    • Load the new software (5 - 10 min).
    • Configure Wireless, if required.
    • Scan Terrestrial Channels.
    • Pair remote to the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm going to close up this thread as its not a direct Bargain Alert but rather age old ways to save on essentials. If anyone has any direct bargains from any providers, please feel free to open a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement