Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and living in Marino

Options
  • 04-11-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi

My wife and I have seen a house that we like in Marino.

Can anyone tell us what Marino is like to live in and raise a family in?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Great place. Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 relocatelondon

Are there any good co_education schools in the area?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mount Temple is walking distance away.
    You will hear mixed reports about Mount Temple as it tends to favour a relaxed approach (and always did, hence U2 etc.), but for a child who wants to work and do well it is a fine school.
    There is also the new Clonturk College, also ones in the city centre also walkable. Many others a bus or train ride away.

By far the biggest influence on how a child gets on in school is the home environment and attitude to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 relocatelondon

Thanks for that..what about Primary schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

spurious wrote: »

By far the biggest influence on how a child gets on in school is the home environment and attitude to education.
    That's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Great place, I also went to Mount Temple, commuting daily from Castleknock of all places.

Great butchers, good off license. Best part is a nice walk down towards Clontarf during the summer

Thanks for that..what about Primary schools?

Don't know as much about them. Big ones on Griffith Avenue, nice little small one off Windsor Avenue (might be just girls, not sure and not sure of the name of it, sorry**).
    I would say talk to the neighbours. Any kids we ever got from Marino in the schools I used to teach in were fine.
    Parental involvement is key. Ask about Parent Associations. The more parents getting involved with the school, the better.

** edit. It's called St. Mary's and it's mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 togaselected99

Marino is a decent spot. Route 123 from Griffith Avenue gets you into town in 20 minutes. There is a secondary and a primary school located on Griffith Avenue too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Marino was the very first large scale suburban social housing scheme built from 1924 to 1929 and its design and layout was based on Unwinian garden city urban planning principles of the early 20th century. It was built with the greatest care and the best materials as it, along with the Shannon Scheme, were showpieces of the new independent Free State. I know all this as Marino was a case study in my postgraduate thesis.

It is excellently laid out and is close to all conceivable amenities. It is a great place to live and raise a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Marino is a decent spot. Route 123 from Griffith Avenue gets you into town in 20 minutes. There is a secondary and a primary school located on Griffith Avenue too.

Don't get too attached to the current 123 route though, the new 'Bus Connects' plan is still being finalised.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Great place to live. Spent almost 30 years living around Griffith Avenue so a lot of time in Marino. Parking isn't the best but that's being very picky. Absolutely brilliant area to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It was built with the greatest care and the best materials as it, along with the Shannon Scheme, were showpieces of the new independent Free State.

Erm, Marino was built in three stages. By stage 3 they’d fired all the Irish builders and brought in German contractors to finish the job. :rolleyes:

Howth Road national school is co-Ed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Erm, Marino was built in three stages. By stage 3 they’d fired all the Irish builders and brought in German contractors to finish the job. :rolleyes:

Howth Road national school is co-Ed.

I am aware of that. :rolleyes: It doesn’t take away from the fact that Marino was very well planned and built. Incidentally I got a 1st Class honours for my thesis.

But you would prefer to pick at my points...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

That's not true.

just stop will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Don't get too attached to the current 123 route though, the new 'Bus Connects' plan is still being finalised.

Route 22 will replace it.
    Love Marino, I like doing weekend cycles to Howth on the new cycle way.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Lived on the Crescent (Beside Bram Stokers old house) for a few years....Breakfast in Brams Cafe is magic.

Advertisement