Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever find barbers giving you a Conor McGregor haircut without being asked?

Options
  • 03-11-2018 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

When I was waiting at the barbers the other day I noticed it was mainly young fellas getting skin fade haircuts. I wasn't too comfortable and I wasn't quite sure why.

When sat at the chair I asked for a 4 blade on the sides. However shortly into the haircut I noticed him using something shorter a little lower down on the sides. I asked what it was and he said it was a no. 2 blade. "Sh1t" I thought to myself. He said "oh but I have to blend it". I said "look it's done now, you may as well continue". He then said "so you've never been to a barber before?" because of my surprise. He said "it looks better that way". Obviously he's used to giving that haircut all day, but would have thought that it would be standard to give the no. 4 blade the whole way down the back and sides, and to use a scissors or razor to tidy it boarders.

It was awkward from there on, and it wasn't cheap either. A few of the fellas in the queue looked on in despair as they were interrupted from their iPhones. So maybe if I walk into a barber and see a bunch of young fellas getting skin fade hair cuts, it might be best to just get the f**k out of there... especially if the barber isn't that good with English. I shouldn't have to be this uncomfortable in a barber chair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

Find a barber you like and stick with them.

What area you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

What about last time you went in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

If you are going to an 8 euro Barber chances are they can only cut one style, and no matter what you ask for, get the cut they can do.

Cheap Barbers are a conveyor belt and the main demographic is the early teens who all tend to get the same haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

When I was waiting at the barbers the other day I noticed it was mainly young fellas getting skin fade haircuts. I wasn't too comfortable and I wasn't quite sure why.

When sat at the chair I asked for a 4 blade on the sides. However shortly into the haircut I noticed him using something shorter a little lower down on the sides. I asked what it was and he said it was a no. 2 blade. "Sh1t" I thought to myself. He said "oh but I have to blend it". I said "look it's done now, you may as well continue". He then said "so you've never been to a barber before?" because of my surprise. He said "it looks better that way". Obviously he's used to giving that haircut all day, but would have thought that it would be standard to give the no. 4 blade the whole way down the back and sides, and to use a scissors or razor to tidy it boarders.

It was awkward from there on, and it wasn't cheap either. A few of the fellas in the queue looked on in despair as they were interrupted from their iPhones. So maybe if I walk into a barber and see a bunch of young fellas getting skin fade hair cuts, it might be best to just get the f**k out of there... especially if the barber isn't that good with English. I shouldn't have to be this uncomfortable in a barber chair.

You probably resemble the groom or bride at a gay wedding by the sounds of it

same as this pair :

https://i.redd.it/noin3rco7fmz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever about the opening post.

Who gets a four on the sides ? Is that even a hair cut :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

listermint wrote: »
    What do you mean? Too long or too short?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

What do you mean? Too long or too short?

Too long for a blade... at that length ask for a short scissor cut on back and sides, will look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

listermint wrote: »
    Whatever about the opening post.

I do. It's so quick.

But your right about going for the sissors cut. Think I will go for the sissors next time.

https://www.esquire.com/style/a24214/clippers-vs-scissors-hair-0813/

Scissor-over-comb is more detailed in creating a shape and adding texture," Elezi confirms. Which is good, because shape and texture are to grooming what fit is to clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I have been going to the same barbers for a few years now. They got a new starter in there a few months ago and while she was cutting my hair she asked me did I want a line in it. I smiled at her and said "im nearly 40, I'm well past lines in my hair thanks".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

You were delighted to be asked ya rascal!
    I've been a 2 up to 3 back and sides and a scissor on top man for as long as I can remember.
    The time spent on the scissors has lessened somewhat it has to be said..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

zero fade is where it's at. I tried going a bit longer on the sides because the whole 'fade' business is played out but just doesn't feel as good afterwards. I hate barbers obsessing over 'clean fades', my hair is very thick and dense but the right side is a bit weaker, I'm sick of barbers stepping back and admiring the fade they do on the left hand side, I've got the right cut in a way that doesn't accentuate the weakness but it was more accident than design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I'm not a member of the US military so never had one, never will. Besides the "high fades" I see a lot of young lads sporting now remind me of Edmund's cut from the original Blackadder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm delighted they've learnt how to do it, my sides go bushy very quickly so I was in the barbers every two weeks or less in the past. Now I just have a few days of looking dodgy before it grows out

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A fade is another word for a graduation right?

Also what with all the new music? It's just noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Why did you pay the dope?

You should have told him once he went near you with the two, give me a two all over then kick up murder and walk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A fade is another word for a graduation right?

Exactly. It's been a style for centuries, nothing to do with McGregor. At one point in the late 80s/early 90s there was a big resurgence then too(it's always been around anyway), with lads getting their flat tops or Morrissey cut (which I was always envious of those who could pull it off).

Even the German army from the era of WWII had what you would say are 'modern' cuts.

The haircuts were known as SS haircuts a few years ago before they became mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whats a high or skin fade. Last time I went to a barbers, a long time ago should add, it was a 2 on the sides and back, and sissor cut on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Whats a high or skin fade. Last time I went to a barbers, a long time ago should add, it was a 2 on the sides and back, and sissor cut on top.

Pretty much that. It's not like you they give you a 2, and then immediately into a longer length, otherwise we'd all be going around with bowl cuts of some type. It's simply nothing more than graduating one length into another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The haircuts were known as SS haircuts a few years ago before they became mainstream.

Ah yeah but sure the SS were always on trend what with their Hugo Boss uniforms and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I have actually walked out of an Irish barbers twice in my life!

1. The guy just refused point blank to not to a really tight haircut and then more or less mocked me when I said the is not what I want. So I just got up and left and went to a proper barbers to get it finished. He still seemed to think I should pay him.

2. A barber cut my neck to the point it was bleeding. She then tried to come near me with some kind of styptic pencil and I told her not to touch it! She kept coming at me and I had to literally tell her to GET AWAY FROM ME NOW! DO NO TOUCH MY NECK with that thing I have no idea how clean or unclean it is and I don't really want to get some kind of a blood-to-blood disease! She continued to keep coming at me so I literally had to stand up and walk away.

At least I saw she had put a new blade onto the razor before she started.

I ended up having to go to a pharmacy and patch myself up.

Again, this barber seemed to think I should actually pay her, rather than contemplate suing her!

After both of those experiences, I am really careful about where I go and stick one or two good places.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the attempting to flame your ears. I don't like that and I always refuse yet I have had a couple of incidents of someone coming at me with a flame anyway and having to tell them to STOP!

And also the barbers who randomly spray you with some awful cologne. I am really sensitive to alcohol on my skin and it will tend to go bright red if there's cologne on it. I have never been able to use aftershave and I would appreciate someone not just dousing me in some cheap and nasty uber-stink stuff without warning.

For some reason the hairstyles worn by guys have remained stubbornly persistent since late 2011/early 2012, far longer than was previously the case for mens hairstyles. The fade is indicative of the new shamelessy self-concerned male of the smartphone era. Contemptuously unmanly when you think about it. A fade only looked good when not every loser trying to hide his receding hairline had one. Also, what happened to "scumbags"? They vanished off the face of the earth in 2013, and I don't just mean their appearance; there are hardly any violent, intimadating, pigeon-walk young men anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Also, what happened to "scumbags"? They vanished off the face of the earth in 2013, and I don't just mean their appearance; there are hardly any violent, intimadating, pigeon-walk young men anymore.

I don't know where you're based but as far as I can see there's still an abundance of scumbags in this country!

For some reason the hairstyles worn by guys have remained stubbornly persistent since late 2011/early 2012, far longer than was previously the case for mens hairstyles. The fade is indicative of the new shamelessy self-concerned male of the smartphone era. Contemptuously unmanly when you think about it. A fade only looked good when not every loser trying to hide his receding hairline had one. Also, what happened to "scumbags"? They vanished off the face of the earth in 2013, and I don't just mean their appearance; there are hardly any violent, intimadating, pigeon-walk young men anymore.

Hahaha go listen to scorching again by Versatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

It's definitely happening elsewhere. One of my local barbers does it by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Whoever said 8 euro barbers suck need to shut it.

Best barber I ever had was an 8 euros a cut barber in Dublin City centre. He would take his time and really put everything into it . Never had a haircut like it .

Afterwards I would feel great it was an experience rather than a simple hair cut.

When I am getting a haircut now and paying 15 20 euros I feel robbed .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Fading or blending is around donkeys years, most men's normal hairstyles are just variations of the crue cut from the 80s
    If you want a good hair cut a long astablished barbers are usually best.
    I also find polish barbers can be quite good also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Gonad wrote: »
    Whoever said 8 euro barbers suck need to shut it.

Best barber I ever had was an 8 euros a cut barber in Dublin City centre. He would take his time and really put everything into it . Never had a haircut like it .

Afterwards I would feel great it was an experience rather than a simple hair cut.

When I am getting a haircut now and paying 15 20 euros I feel robbed .

1520 euros is an extortionate amount for a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

munster87 wrote: »
    1520 euros is an extortionate amount for a haircut.

I said 15 20 not 1520.

Get your facts straight .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Gonad wrote: »
    I said 15 20 not 1520.

Get your facts straight .

Still though, 1520 euros would be a lot to pay for a haircut

Advertisement