Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien Nation remake (Jeff Nichols)

Options
  • 02-11-2018 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭

As much as I hate the whole "remake everything" mentality in Hollywood, Jeff Nichols (Loving, Midnight Special, Take Shelter, Mud) writing and directing his own version of Alien Nation has me quite interested. According to /Film, the script is just about done, but Disney's purchasing of Fox may put the project in jeopardy. Sounds like it would be a departure from the original (which I liked back in the day) if it goes ahead, but that's not a bad thing. Hopefully we'll hear more soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix already made it with Bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jeff Nichols eh? Ah cool, I haven't seen Michael Shannon in a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,389 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »
    Jeff Nichols eh? Ah cool, I haven't seen Michael Shannon in a while :)

Yep expect Michael Shannon in the cast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Alien Nation is a good film on its own but the premise is very good, I wouldnt mind seeing more movies in that universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Alien Nation is a good film on its own but the premise is very good, I wouldnt mind seeing more movies in that universe.

There was a tv series that ran for 22 episodes followed by 5 tv movies after that. Created by Kenneth Johnson with a theme song that keeps popping into my head

But, yeah, I would like to see a return since I enjoyed the movie and the series/movies.

Must watch Bright since Alien Nation was what I thought of after hearing about it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My understanding was that this isn't a remake, they are just using the title for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed the original movie (And the TV series). They laid the whole racism angle a bit heavy but it was still interesting.

However, given the current temperament in the US I'm not sure how well a TV series about refugees and tolerance towards outsiders would go down. Sadly this would be bandied about as a political foil.

I mean, Fox "news" slammed The Lego Movie and The Muppet Movie for being anti-business and The Lorax and Ghibli's Arrietty for their liberal agenda and environmental messages...........

So I don't think it'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's exactly what I was thinking watching those movies. :rolleyes:

It could get made. Sure isn't there a V movie in the works as well with similar themes. Though that may be worse since it likely shows the aliens as evil, which Trump may like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Wasn't the refugee / alien thing covered in District 9?

I remember this show, would be interesting if they did it well.

Advertisement