Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to go from (OL) Irish to (HL) Irish after the junior cert?

Options
  • 02-11-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I have just done (OL) Irish for the Junior Cert and I am currently in 4th year. If I were to spend my free time studying Irish for the rest of the year, is it possible for me to move back into the (HL) class?

I believe I have the aptitude for it, but I am unsure if the (HL) class has moved too far ahead for me to be able to catch up.

Has anyone on this site heard of people moving from the (OL) class to the (HL) class and doing well? or should I just focus on improving my other subjects? Thank you all very much for taking the time out to read this.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why didn't you do HL in the Junior? Did you get an A in OL?

You should talk to your teacher about this. They are the one knows whether you are likely to be able for HL at LC or not.

It annoys me so much when schools allow students capable of HL do OL at JC instead. By taking OL in Irish you automatically put yourself in the bottom 40-50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 finnjo

Thank you for the reply, Spurious.

My decision to drop down to (OL) was very short-sighted and I hope to make amends this year by going over last years (HL) material. I got an A in (OL) Irish, which I now hope will sway my teacher to let me give (HL) a shot. I am going to talk with my teacher about it as soon as possible as I don't mind the extra workload if it means getting into the HL class.

Wish me luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Getting the A gives you some basis to ask for a chance.

Are you continuing with some Irish classes in TY? If so, you could maybe show the teacher you are serious by doing really well in whatever tests you have.
    Maybe offer to do a JC HL paper, or part of one?
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ialison

finnjo wrote: »
    Hello, I have just done (OL) Irish for the Junior Cert and I am currently in 4th year. If I were to spend my free time studying Irish for the rest of the year, is it possible for me to move back into the (HL) class?

I believe I have the aptitude for it, but I am unsure if the (HL) class has moved too far ahead for me to be able to catch up.

Has anyone on this site heard of people moving from the (OL) class to the (HL) class and doing well? or should I just focus on improving my other subjects? Thank you all very much for taking the time out to read this.

I think you have a good chance if you put your head down and work hard this year. Thats what I did in 4th year and now im doing HL maths. Talk with your teacher about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A few weeks in the Gaeltacht next summer might both improve your Irish (if you use your time constructively) and impress your teacher with your commitment.

In the meantime, TnaG is your friend! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've had a few students over the years go from OL JC to HL LC. It's mostly down to their committment. If they're willing to work they generally do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

Honestly, why would you do any subject in the JC at OL? Imo I think everyone should just give HL a go during the junior years. I think it should be possible. Try asking! Then again I'm not strong at irish and i do HL...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

spurious wrote: »
    Why didn't you do HL in the Junior? Did you get an A in OL?

You should talk to your teacher about this. They are the one knows whether you are likely to be able for HL at LC or not.

It annoys me so much when schools allow students capable of HL do OL at JC instead. By taking OL in Irish you automatically put yourself in the bottom 40-50%.

Schools can't stop anyone taking ordinary level papers. They can advise against it but if a student and their parents insist, there's nothing a school can do to stop it.

It is possible to go from ordinary level JC to higher at the LC assuming they have some kind of ability in the subject and, more importantly, a determination to work at it.

At Junior Cert, the school has to ask for the candidate to change level. At LC they can take whatever paper they want.

At Junior Cert, the school has to ask for the candidate to change level. At LC they can take whatever paper they want.

Not true on the ground. The students choose with their parents permission. If a students arrives in with a note to change, a parent phones school or if they meet with relevant teachers they can change their level. Teachers can only advise.

• Advertisement

That may be your experience, but SEC policy is otherwise and multiple extra copies of papers at different levels are not sent at JC, so anyone changing level unannounced will hold others up while papers are photocopied.

Bottom line is none of them should be dropping levels on the day at JC. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Getting the A gives you some basis to ask for a chance.

Are you continuing with some Irish classes in TY? If so, you could maybe show the teacher you are serious by doing really well in whatever tests you have.
    Maybe offer to do a JC HL paper, or part of one?
    Good luck with it.

Maybe the mocks when they come around?

That may be your experience, but SEC policy is otherwise and multiple extra copies of papers at different levels are not sent at JC, so anyone changing level unannounced will hold others up while papers are photocopied.

Bottom line is none of them should be dropping levels on the day at JC. It's ridiculous.

Unannounced a different thing entirely. Students pick their level during the regular run of 2nd/3rd year. There are also spares of higher and ordinary papers to cover a reasonable number of level changes on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rayray2002

Yes i personally believe that you can go from O.L at the j.c to H.L for the L.C because i have a several students from my higher level class who simply told one of the higher level irish teachers that they got an A at O.L in the j.c and wanted to try the H.L . if you genuinely think that you have the ability to do the study and work entailed in the L.C course then the teacher should have faith and let you give it a go.
    You only need to know your basic grammer rules, verbs and have a bit of knowledge in the vocabulary to start out in 5th year with trying for the higher.
    Also as a pervious replier said the gaeltacht is helpful and great fun.Or any irish college courses such as colaiste naomh eoin in the leinster region are excellent. some of the irish poetry that i learned there i used in my actual j.c and im hoping to go back again to the courses this summer . you should google them up . good luck

Advertisement