Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New telephone line to home

Options
  • 02-11-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I will be moving house half way between current contract package with provider [Eir]

Was just checking out options as regards Broadband providers in the area I intend buying a house in
    One house I'm interested in has no telephone line installed in it and from what I can recall [viewed once] there's no telephone wires even close to it

I spoke to the Digiweb customer service team and they told me that I could hire an electrician to set up a telephone line within the house.

Does anyone know if this is legal and if an electrician would in fact be willing to take on this job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭niallb

An electrician can run a line within your house to allow you put a phone wherever you want it,
    but there has to be a line available in the house for the electrician to connect to or you won't be getting any calls.
    Digiweb are not being very clear here.

Don't be too concerned about there not being visible telephone wires close to it unless by close to it you mean more than a few hundred meters.
    There may be a duct coming into the house underground and if not, the full distance may not be that far. A good electrician will be able to help you choose and run a duct back to the nearest pole if there isn't one available and then openeir can use it to reach your house.
    If you're paying out to get something run though, make sure to get fiber if it's available.
    You can get a phone service on the fiber without a separate copper line and it's far more useful long term.

Your current provider Eir should be able to tell you if there was ever service there.
    Don't rely on what you think you might have seen on a brief viewing.
    Typing the Eircode into the availability box is the only reliable way to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Thanks niallb,

thats good info

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

supernova5 wrote: »
    Thanks niallb,

thats good info

Niallb is right. Eir can provide a new line to your house boundary. You may be able to get an overhead service from pole to house? Which will cost you nothing. Eir can tell you if that adress ever had a phone number/phone line?. If it had a previous number or line.. Chances are the line was snipped at some stage and is behind skirting board (usually in the hall or sitting room). If it's a 15-20yr old house.. Chances are it has an ETU box (small white plastic box on the wall outside your house near the ESB box). If the ETU is there it will have a 2pair black cable in it with a black, green, orange and white cable in it. That's your phone line.
    Hope this is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

Thank you classic tiler,

that is very valuable information to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I was in a similar situation a while back, moved to a house in the country.
    In the end I decided to opt out of having a phone line installed and went with one of those broadband modems, just plug in and go from 3.

€30 a month, kids play their games, we use our gadgets and we all watch films etc. Very happy with my decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement