Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooked christmas dinner!

Options
  • 02-11-2018 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!
    christmas is in my house this year!

I am looking for places that have the meal cooked, but you need to re heat/cook veg etc.

My sister in law got the meat and some nice sides from avoca last year,
    the meat was glazed and cooked already, it just needed 1hr in the oven before dinner.

takes most of the stress away when veg is the main thing being made!

does anyone know anywhere other than avoca that offers this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What part of the meal are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

mainly meat id imagine, unless i find some out of this world sides and desert!

shakencat wrote: »
    mainly meat id imagine, unless i find some out of this world sides and desert!

Well this is a place that I know that does hams.

http://www.horgans.com/onlineshop/horgans-hams

Regarding getting the turkey/ham cooked. Your best bet would be to try a local deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

maybe very few places do the cooked options, might just copy and go to avoca so!

well regarding getting you main meats cooked. Youd be paying a food bit no matter where you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Butler’s Pantry, but you’ll pay a lot! Poulet Bonne Femme too. I presume they precook the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think Donnybrook Fair do it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RiceCrispy

Musgraves do Turkey ham & stuffing individual portions that you reheat. if that's something would work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was in SuperValu last year before Christmas and a woman was ordering one of their cooked whole hams from the deli counter where you can buy slices at a time. Both I and the assistant were a bit surprised that she wanted this and the assistant kept saying 'its already cooked'. I never heard of anyone buying a whole cooked ham from a deli counter, but maybe that's what you mean and in that case SuperValu might possibly be the answer.

Brady's often have lots of home cooked hams on the shelf in my local Super-Valu at Christmas.
    Horgans is the other brand that I shared the link with you.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I was in SuperValu last year before Christmas and a woman was ordering one of their cooked whole hams from the deli counter where you can buy slices at a time. Both I and the assistant were a bit surprised that she wanted this and the assistant kept saying 'its already cooked'. I never heard of anyone buying a whole cooked ham from a deli counter, but maybe that's what you mean and in that case SuperValu might possibly be the answer.

It's actually very common where I come from.

It's actually very common where I come from.

I must be very ancient and old fashioned! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I must be very ancient and old fashioned! :D

I’m totes young and I’ve never heard of it either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Me either, and I'm practically a child. >_>

It might just a thing in the towns near me.
    There are two companies Horgans. Who'd have smoked or glazed ham. Sometimes bone is left in. You can also get half a ham with them.
    Then there's Brady's. The quality seems to be better than there deli ham. I have only seen this in honey glazed.

Then there's a local deli that does a honey roast ham. Prices are scary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

No idea where you are, but place in Carlow called Kearney meats and they do Turkey and ham sliced with stuffing between in a tray. You've got to pre order it but it might work. They also do prepared veg like peeled spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I've been getting a cooked Brady's Family Ham from SuperValu for years now. The first year I bought it straight from Brady's & they emailed me every step of the way..... Your ham is soaking..... Your ham is gone into the oven..... the glaze is going on your ham......
    Then they delivered it to my house, in a Christmassy box, with the never-forgotten words : HERE I HAM.
    Absolutely mouthwatering.
    Sadly, you can no longer buy direct from Brady's. You just walk into SuperValu with €50 for a full ham or €30 for a half ham & walk away with your ham under your arm. Nowhere near as exciting, but just as tasty. I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I've been getting a cooked Brady's Family Ham from SuperValu for years now. The first year I bought it straight from Brady's & they emailed me every step of the way..... Your ham is soaking..... Your ham is gone into the oven..... the glaze is going on your ham......
    Then they delivered it to my house, in a Christmassy box, with the never-forgotten words : HERE I HAM.
    Sadly, you can no longer buy direct from Brady's. You just walk into SuperValu with €50 for a full ham or €30 for a half ham & walk away with your ham under your arm. Nowhere near as exciting, but just as tasty. I couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Thankful I'm not the only one that has heard about this.
    Maybe it's an urban/rural thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That is brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

A restaurant in Lucan cooks turkeys and ham and you just collect it. The chef is very good. He only does a certain number so you have to get your order in.

• Advertisement

Start a campaign to bring that back! It sounds like a brilliant service!

Start a campaign to bring that back! It sounds like a brilliant service!

This company also does it!

http://www.horgans.com/onlineshop/horgans-hams

Advertisement