Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet sporadic unless I route via Wifi bridge on my phone

Options
  • 02-11-2018 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I have a curious broadband or networking issue. Broadband has been totally unreliable the past 10 days. It runs for a time, then stops - and the cycle continues.

Strangely, when I disconnect (via wifi) from the router and instead, connect my mobile via wifi with the router - then open up a wifi bridge to the laptop, then it seems to run so much better.

How could this be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The first question would be: what happens if you connect a computer by cable to the router ?

There are too many unknowns here.

Is it your internet ? Or is it your wifi, that is the problem ?

What provider ? What router ?

Please be specific.

Wifi problems have nothing to do with your internet or broadband.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

After I posted yesterday, I still had problems even through wifi-bridging. I tried a network cable a few hours ago. It's been solid since connecting.

I'll monitor and see how it goes...and switch back to wifi and see if the problem still exists. Either it's somehow got resolved or wifi is implicated. I use wifi at work - so it must not be the wifi module in the laptop.

As regards provider, I'm overseas so probably not worthwhile in providing that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ok. You're clearly talking about wifi problems so. Not broadband problems.

Wifi problems can be lots of things:

- drivers.
    - the wireless card.
    - insulation in the house
    - your signal
    - your distance to the router ...

But here's the majority of the problems:

- somebody else using the same frequency causing interference. And this doesn't have to be wifi. It also doesn't have to be right next door.

- video senders
    - baby monitors
    - bluetooth
    - wireless headsets
    - etc. etc. etc. etc.
    - cattle cams

I could add on and on and on. 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are unlicensed frequencies. Anyone can transmit any sort of rubbish on those bands.

It's important, that you figure out, if your problem is the internet or the wifi first. If it's the wifi then it's YOUR problem. If it's the broadband (tested by cable) it's something you check, and only then, with your internet provider.

After all, even if your internet provider supplied your router, he's not responsible for your wifi. He can't be. It's unlicensed frequencies.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

I have a curious broadband or networking issue. Broadband has been totally unreliable the past 10 days. It runs for a time, then stops - and the cycle continues.

Strangely, when I disconnect (via wifi) from the router and instead, connect my mobile via wifi with the router - then open up a wifi bridge to the laptop, then it seems to run so much better.

How could this be?

Who is your broadband provider?

Advertisement