Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice A1 or A2 bikes recommendation

Options
  • 01-11-2018 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all

I'm looking for my first (second hand) bike either A1 or A2. Main use to commute and to go for a ride at the weekend, so it must be comfortable to drive in Dublin traffic during peak hours :(

The Suzuki Van Van 200 seems the ideal beginner bike but it seems that very few come to the market.

Honda MSX / Grom 125 seems all right, although I'd prefer something bigger than 125cc

Honda Hornet 250 seems a good compromise

Any recommendation/advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What height are you ? The MSX125 is a great "fun" bike but its not a commuter by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 vikkthor

D3V!L wrote: »
    What height are you ? The MSX125 is a great "fun" bike but its not a commuter by any stretch of the imagination.
    I'm 5.7

The MSX seems to be a good bike to ride in the traffic though (my commute is just 5 miles). 125cc seems a bit underpowered (at least on paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Id agree with D3v!l the msx is great fun ... but another thing to consider would be a 125/250 scooter. If you are just commuting, youd have better protection from the weather, can be very comfy, storage under the seat for lid/lock.

GBX wrote: »
    Id agree with D3v!l the msx is great fun ... but another thing to consider would be a 125/250 scooter. If you are just commuting, youd have better protection from the weather, can be very comfy, storage under the seat for lid/lock.

Not interested in scooters. I used to have drive one years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

In Thailand I rode the grom and while it was good craic, I found the scooters more comfortable. I wouldn't bother with the hornet 250, it doesn't really suit any category any more and are tough to sell, it doesn't stop sellers keeping a high price in them though. Get an A bike restricted to A2, should make the journey through the license categories easier, if you're eligible for A2 I wouldn't consider getting the bikes you suggested, they're too small.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    In Thailand I rode the grom and while it was good craic, I found the scooters more comfortable. I wouldn't bother with the hornet 250, it doesn't really suit any category any more and are tough to sell, it doesn't stop sellers keeping a high price in them though. Get an A bike restricted to A2, should make the journey through the license categories easier, if you're eligible for A2 I wouldn't consider getting the bikes you suggested, they're too small.

Yeah I have a full A2 license although this will be my first bike so I don’t want to get a big ride right now.

I came across a 1989 Kawasaki EL250 which seems well looked after with asking price of €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

How about Ninja 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Unless you really really know what you're doing, buying a near 30 year old bike is going to break your heart, your wallet or both.

Unless it's a classic and you're not relying upon it for daily transport, why bother. Plenty of better younger bikes around.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement