Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Romanians fighting for BMW

Options
  • 01-11-2018 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

sorry for the a clickbaty tittle. I have a 523(no TAX no NCT) sitting about the past year so I decided to stick it up for a swap or sale just to get rid of it

Once the add went up I got a few calls from lads with a very same theme of conversation and accent(sound Romanian)

they are very keen to take the car without really looking at it and not for nothing either(this is the part that doesnt sit too right with me), tying to agree the price on the phone, and collect it as soon as possible, take the ad down right now etc....

oh yeah one lad hacked my phone out of it trying to make sure I sell it to him

rang my mate, he had the same crack selling his BMW and he sells cars the odd time and that's the first time he came across these lads too with the BMW

so a bit of a theme here, whats their story? is it something bogey or maybe they are exporting them or something, cause they don't seem to care too much what condition the car is in
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably selling them or breaking for parts for the Eastern European/Russian market. They really like their German cars in that side of the world.

One thing I'd very careful with here is these sort might give you a fake name and address for the change of ownership section of the logbook. You won't really know until you send it off and you get it returned to you by Shannon later on. You can be sure the buyer won't be contactable and the car will still be in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

thanks bazz, I was more worries about fake notes than the logbook but ill keep that in mind
    its very strange the demand on the car because the car isnt worth s**te on the Irish market with no NCT or 1k TAX and high mileage
    so I am very surprised with the offers I'm getting and lads trying to outbid eachother
    If their cash is good its not a bad position to be in trying to get rid of a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good advice Bazz.

Our tax/insurance system has killed off the idea of driving older cars like this so they have no market value in Ireland.
    These cars are very desirable in Eastern Europe as driving a BMW is seen as status symbol even if it's an old model.

Since there cars are fairly old there will be loads of people looking for parts and this drives up the price. It would explain why they don't even want to see it first. They know they will probably get enough parts off the car to make a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

bazz26 wrote: »

One thing I'd very careful with here is these sort might give you a fake name and address for the change of ownership section of the logbook. You won't really know until you send it off and you get it returned to you by Shannon later on.

Do Shannon check these? Can they even?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

B-i-l was selling an e90 Petrol for a while but was getting nowhere on DoneDeal so took it down for a month or so.
    He put it back up recently and said he was nearly ate for it, some Romanians came and gave him his asking price for it and took it away there and then.
    He was delighted with the quick easy sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

What happens if the log book is sent off with a false name?

Are you caught for any traffic violations or is there some remedy for the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Won't last long. German cities are introducing restrictions on earlier Diesels entering the heart of the cities that they are dropping in price and the local Customer will have no appetite for them at any price; they'll find their way to eastern Europe in even greater numbers than before.

got another call from a genuine buyer, sells a few BMW's got chatting to him and said it to him. he told me what they are at, they drive them to germany and sell them there for savage money. I've a 2006 523i msport in good nic, over here I can get about 1500 for it maybe 2000 if im lucky. Over in germany their going for 5k+, just a quick search and link below
    Explains why they are jumping on them

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&fuels=PETROL&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=3500&makeModelVariant1.modelId=18&maxFirstRegistrationDate=2006&maxPowerAsArray=KW&minFirstRegistrationDate=2006&minMileage=150000&minPowerAsArray=KW&scopeId=C&sfmr=false

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

They'll only be wanting the petrols from now on.
    If you search for rechtslenker on www.kleinanzeigen.ebay.de you'll see a steady stream of Irish cars appearing for sale in Duisberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

A common thing to be wary of here is if they offer to pay by paypal. They can strike the deal and send you a paypal email saying x amount of money has been lodged into your account. They turn up and collect the product and before you realise the e mail is a fake and no money in your paypal, they are gone and call sell the product for 100% profit. Mightn't be linked to this but its one underlying theory I have witnessed with panic buying punters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

They obviously don't mind that these Irish cars are all right hand drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

morrga wrote: »
    A common thing to be wary of here is if they offer to pay by paypal. They can strike the deal and send you a paypal email saying x amount of money has been lodged into your account. They turn up and collect the product and before you realise the e mail is a fake and no money in your paypal, they are gone and call sell the product for 100% profit. Mightn't be linked to this but its one underlying theory I have witnessed with panic buying punters.

Why wouldn't you check your PayPal account independent of an email for a transaction that size?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

laotg wrote: »
    They obviously don't mind that these Irish cars are all right hand drive?

Countries like Poland changed their rules around importing cars where now they allow the importing of rhd cars. There is obviously money in it for them to buy them here and sell in Eastern Europe even rhd versions. Breaking for parts is profitable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

sounds like a win win situation for everyone, its amazing the lump of car you can get now for 1000 Euros granted it may be a bit useless within this economy, like the old drinking saying its always 6 o'clock somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

sounds like a win win situation for everyone, its amazing the lump of car you can get now for 1000 Euros granted it may be a bit useless within this economy, like the old drinking saying its always 6 o'clock somewhere

was told of this trick but got still caught out
    met up with these romanians. ma da and their younfella. while the ma and yougfella were distracting me at the back of the car the da poored oil into the coolant. after a spin tried to tell me the engine was blown!! and offering to take it off me for half the price
    dirty f***ers, the yougfella was begging and trying ta grab me hand saying he loves the car etc.... please sir sell it to me

anyway they went of offering only 400less than what was agreed
    later on I called em back, after i copped on they tried to scam me
    made em drive up about 40 minutes to collect the car for nothing, left em waiting at the garage about 40min and sent them looking for me down the country where i apparently was having issues with the car not starting. so wastes about 3 hours of their time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I sold a tired BMW 523 recently on donedeal. I priced it well and within an hour an eastern European gypsy was on the phone begging to take down the car and he would give me the asking price as soon as he drove from the west of the country. I told him I wasn't budging on the price and not to bother coming if he wasn't paying the full asking price.

3 hours later he and a few mates arrived and proceeded to tell me how bad the car was and the engine was fcuked even though it was perfect mechanically. Anyway he eventually paid the full asking despite shenanigans trying to hold back cash etc. The car was for his wife and I put her name on the cert and posted myself.

The car appeared back on donedeal the morning after with a €800 price increase. He probably flipped €400 on it though it was on donedeal for ages.

Advertisement