Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vox Lux

Options
  • 31-10-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭

Natalie Portman is Celeste, a girl who had become a pop star almost by accident, but is struggling to stay relevant years later. The Hollywood Reporter says:
    The joyous spectacle of Natalie Portman throwing weapons-grade bitch-queen tantrums is just one of the guilty pleasures in actor-turned-director Brady Corbet's stylish, original and ambitious second feature. Spanning almost 20 years, Vox Lux makes an audacious attempt to understand post-Columbine, post-9/11 America through the life story of a superstar pop diva who is both a victim of random violence and unwitting catalyst for further tragedy. Its key theme seems to be lost innocence, on both a personal and national scale.
    Portman does her own singing, in songs written by Sia, with Jude Law and Raffey Cassidy (who plays a young Celeste and later Celeste's daughter). Out in the USA in December (in time for Oscar season), probably here in January.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

This does look great, and I love that even the trailer is quite unusual with that little interruption of a scene with Jude Law, and then Natalie falling into frame and on to the floor. I hope this live up to it's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

This was amazing. Fantastic film, much better than the Oscar musical films like A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody. One of the rare times with a modern film where I didn't want it to end and didn't feel the end coming. I felt it could've went on another 30-40 minutes, and become more of an "epic film". It was close to being a masterpiece, but the third act needed to be different, or preferably longer. The ending was abrupt and initially frustrating, but the more I thought about it afterwards, the more I enjoyed it.

I can easily see not liking this film, but there's reviews absolutely hating it. I thought it was great and really unique. Willem Dafoe's voice as The Narrator really added a cool tone to the overall dynamic.

Irish/UK release is 3rd May, which is just bizarre, when the Blu-ray is already "available" online.

Really enjoyed this for the most part but then it
    shows about 10-15 mins of a pop concert at the end which was just inexcusable and very confusing as to the message and what they were trying to say. Can't for the life of me understand why they did such overkill on that. Complete emotional disconnect at the end

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed this for the most part but then it
    shows about 10-15 mins of a pop concert at the end which was just inexcusable and very confusing as to the message and what they were trying to say. Can't for the life of me understand why they did such overkill on that. Complete emotional disconnect at the end
    isn't that the point, I liked how the music and lyrics (and dancing) were bad.

Yeah but according to who? Because it’s that garbage that is super popular these days. Who’s to say it was actually cynical? The more it went on the more it felt to me like this was something of a showcase

Yeah but according to who? Because it’s that garbage that is super popular these days. Who’s to say it was actually cynical? The more it went on the more it felt to me like this was something of a showcase

despite everything around it she enjoys it as do others thats the point.

Advertisement