Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance mountain identification

Options
  • 31-10-2018 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Apologies as this may not be the ideal post for this forum, but thought the map reading skills on this forum would be high.

From my position in Skerries I look at the Mournes, Cooleys and Slieve Gullion in Armagh, c.80km away. What I thought was a part of the Cooleys now looks like a separate mountain, much farther away. I can only see it on a very clear day like Monday.
    Quick look on online maps and I think it could possibly be Sperrins or Antrim plateau. I'd be rather excited as I come from Antrim.

What would be the easiest way for me to positively identify the mountain from so far off?
    Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    midonogh

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you know where your position is accurately (i.e. grid reference, lat & long etc.) take a compass bearing of the mountain (the top or most prominent part) and transfer that to a map. Locate your position on the map, orientate your compass to the bearing and then draw a line until you hit the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Thanks for that. Is there any way I can get a map that will give me contours etc over a distance from Dublin to Antrim/Derry or is it a case of buying the relevant OS maps and laying them out together
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OP, there are a number of smartphone apps that work very well for this kind of thing. Peakfinder is the best one I've come across ...

https://www.peakfinder.org/mobile/

Viewranger also has this feature but apparently now requires an annual premium subscription for this feature.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Google earth has the ability to measure in direction, from a base point. You may have to add or subtract for variation to go from magnetic to true, but it's one solution. If necessary, use it in conjunction with http://map.geohive.ie/ to identify the "target".

I should add that there's also an online version of Peakfinder ...

https://www.peakfinder.org

You can put in your coordinates or just a placename and drag the viewpoint around to see what peaks are visible from your location and an idea of what they look like from a distance.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    OP, there are a number of smartphone apps that work very well for this kind of thing. Peakfinder is the best one I've come across ...

https://www.peakfinder.org/mobile/

Viewranger also has this feature but apparently now requires an annual premium subscription for this feature.

Just downloaded PeakFinder and can’t wait to get home to try. Thanks so much. Boards has the answer to every question.

midonogh wrote: »
    Just downloaded PeakFinder and can’t wait to get home to try. Thanks so much. Boards has the answer to every question.
    It's certainly a great little app.

I was up on Mt Leinster at the weekend and could see for miles, including lots of mountain ranges. Some were familiar, but much heated discussion ensued within the group as to the identity of some of the others! Peakfinder quickly resolved all the arguments:)

Alun wrote: »
    It's certainly a great little app.

I was up on Mt Leinster at the weekend and could see for miles, including lots of mountain ranges. Some were familiar, but much heated discussion ensued within the group as to the identity of some of the others! Peakfinder quickly resolved all the arguments:)

Using the desktop version I think the mountain I am looking at is Camlough Mountain rather than Sperrins. Blit disappointing. But now I know ow the names of all the Cooley and Mournes peaks that I have been looking at for years. 😀

Advertisement