Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

125cc Scotter, Classed as A1?

Options
  • 30-10-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm looking at the Motorcycle categories and I see they're based on engine size, AM obvioulsy is a 50cc Scooter, but say I'm driving a 125cc Scooter, that would be considered an A1 despite being technically a moped right? Does the auto transmission make a difference at all?
    I suppose the better question would be, if someone was to take their practical test in a 125cc Automatic Scooter, would they still be getting an A1 license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

It seems i've answered my own question after doing some digging, it seems Motorcycles act the same as Cars in the sense that if you do your test on an Automatic bike you get the Automatic restriction, regardless of the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just for clarity. A moped is any motorcycle that can't exceed 45km/h or 49cc. You can get any style of bike that meets that criteria from a scooter to off road.

A scooter can be any size, the power/capacity determines what licence you require to ride it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Natonstan wrote: »
    It seems i've answered my own question after doing some digging, it seems Motorcycles act the same as Cars in the sense that if you do your test on an Automatic bike you get the Automatic restriction, regardless of the CC.

Correct : traditional Vespa are classified as manual with their hand change.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement