Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC U11 Security Patches...

Options
  • 30-10-2018 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

I have a HTC U11 from Three and am still on security patches from November 2017. Many employer (using Work Profiles) requires my security patches to be <12 months old and, with November 1st arriving, it's looking like I might be out of luck in a couple of days...

I've seen folks online in the US and some EU Unlocked (and even UK HTC U11s) have received updated security patches. Some for December 2017, some for June 2018.

Does anyone know if there's any way, other than rooting, to sideload the security patches OTAs or even somehow force my phone to find the latest updates? Or am I totally at the best of HTC / Three to roll these out?

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Totally at the bestest of HTC or Three. I know HTC are way behind but bit rich of your employer to require up to date security patches on a personal phone. Tell them to feck of to Vodafone or whoever and give you a work phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Totally at the bestest of HTC or Three. I know HTC are way behind but bit rich of your employer to require up to date security patches on a personal phone. Tell them to feck of to Vodafone or whoever and give you a work phone.

Thanks for the reply - my employer only requires them if I'm intent on accessing their data on my personal phone, which I think is perfectly fair. Approved phones are available to me, but since I've just started I'm in an interim period whereby I'm using on own phone for mail, etc. for the next while.

TBH, I hadn't noticed that I was so far behind on security patches until I was auto-flagged. However, if I had noticed I certainly would be a bit annoyed myself anyway (and I am). The security bulletins were intentionally developed and spun out in such a way as to make this process more streamlined for the carriers and the manufacturers. The U11 *was* getting nice, egular security updates until last year. Sure it's OK to be a bit behind, but 12 months for a relatively new phone is not ideal. That's just the cranky technologist in me talking, mind you; it wouldn't be relevant to normal people, I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just debrand it.

You don't have to root it, just flash the no carrier UK firmware or closest applicable and you'll receive updates from HTCs main push and not via Three after they've added their branding and junkware.

This will mean wiping the phone. And in future, buy handsets from retailers not networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Yeah it's a network thing as opposed to a HTC thing. I bought mine off EGlobal, dual SIM 128GB Asian model and mine is on the June 2018 security patch.

I bought mine direct from HTC and it was updated to June 2018 several weeks ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement