Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Pitch

Options
  • 30-10-2018 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi. I am drawing a new house for myself at the moment. It is a standard A pitch roof... 35 degree pitch at the front reduced to 29 at the back to ensure decent sized bedrooms at the back in the first floor . From reading about wind driven rain, I am satisfied that 29 degrees is fine but I was looking for some confirmation from ye more experienced. 29 degree roof is facing south / south east, is not on a hill and is 30km from the coast.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Make the pitch front & back the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

BryanF wrote: »
    Make the pitch front & back the same.

Is that for an architectural reason?...is there a reason 35degree and 29degrees would not work?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Moggaman wrote: »
    Is that for an architectural reason?...is there a reason 35degree and 29degrees would not work?
    Thanks

What is the reason for making them different in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks

Yeah Cost and driving the builder mad :D

kceire wrote: »
    What is the reason for making them different in the first place?

I am constricted by ridge heights either side. Rural house... one house 13m away , the other 16m. Seems to me when I take the same degree pitch , it reduces the working height of the south facing bedrooms fairly substantially...by increasing the wall plate level at the back by a bit, I am gaining substantially in head room. I want the bedrooms at the south sides and I want to keep the house to 1900 sq feet so widening the footprint is not on...

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah Cost and driving the builder mad :D

Surely to any decent roofing contractor , an A pitch on a rectangular footprint is bread and butter regardless of 2 different pitches?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Make both pitches 29 degrees, enjoy your extra headroom.

My fee note is in the post. Thanksbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surely to any decent roofing contractor , an A pitch on a rectangular footprint is bread and butter regardless of 2 different pitches?

If you are looking for someone to refuse a job, then ya. Have at it :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Subject to engineering design.
    It’s creating a headache when it can be removed at the design stage.

Lumen wrote: »
    Make both pitches 29 degrees, enjoy your extra headroom.

My fee note is in the post. Thanksbye!

I take your point and thanks for the reply...however the introduction of a 29 degree pitch to the front takes the bungalow look away from the front ...a look which I want. I was wondering tho if 29 degrees was stretching it angle wise on the pitch in terms of wind driven rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends what you finish it with and how it's detailed.

I have 23.5 degree pitch with some crappy cement tile and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

No reason why you can't do it, the 29deg pitch will be more than enough for either slate or concrete tile.

It will be more expensive due to loss of triangulation in the roof shape. Make sure you engage a chartered structural engineer to design the roof for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

shane6977 wrote: »
    No reason why you can't do it....

other than permission possibly being reused.

in all due respect and with no malice intended, if you have to do this to gain space upstairs than you probably do not have sufficient experience in design to be designing a new house properly.

it looks terrible, it adds unnecessary cost, and on a green field build should be totally unnecessary from a buildability point of view.

you talk about wanting a bungalow look to the house, yet its not a bungalow... so why try to make it look like something its not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

two storey, bungalow look, bedrooms on south facing. different roof pitches.... lots to learn here
    Can you excavate a bit to solve the problem

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    other than permission possibly being reused.

in all due respect and with no malice intended, if you have to do this to gain space upstairs than you probably do not have sufficient experience in design to be designing a new house properly.

it looks terrible, it adds unnecessary cost, and on a green field build should be totally unnecessary from a buildability point of view.

you talk about wanting a bungalow look to the house, yet its not a bungalow... so why try to make it look like something its not?

This house for me is not about design or making an architectural statement . The house I live in at the moment is very different and architecturally designed and is pretty standout.. This house is about making sure everything inside meets our needs. We don’t care about the outside or the look to be honest..Clearly it has to get through planning of course so it has to be sympathetic to what’s around it but as a couple we are more interested in practicality now than aesthetics.
    This is not what architects want to hear im sure!

two storey, bungalow look, bedrooms on south facing. different roof pitches.... lots to learn here
    Can you excavate a bit to solve the problem

No cannot excavate. What do u mean lots to learn..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

South facing bedrooms, which are usually occupied when it is dark and you are asleep, and if over glazed, without proper solar shading, may overheat, would not be regarded as the best orientation and use of space.
    In fact having the bedrooms downstairs is now more attractive in some locations
    Pick up Trevor Hickey's Leaving Cert Construction Technology and read it from the beginning

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

South facing bedrooms, which are usually occupied when it is dark and you are asleep, and if over glazed, without proper solar shading, may overheat, would not be regarded as the best orientation and use of space.
    In fact having the bedrooms downstairs is now more attractive in some locations
    Pick up Trevor Hickey's Leaving Cert Construction Technology and read it from the beginning

I do like boards because it gives differing points of view ... all of which should be respected. Your points with regard to overheating are well made but imo don’t apply to a south facing bedroom which has one two roof lights for light. Downstairs we will have kitchen / living also south facing...the areas we live in the most....as the last 10 years have proven to us.
    I might get that book!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This house for me is not about design or making an architectural statement . The house I live in at the moment is very different and architecturally designed and is pretty standout.. This house is about making sure everything inside meets our needs. We don’t care about the outside or the look to be honest..Clearly it has to get through planning of course so it has to be sympathetic to what’s around it but as a couple we are more interested in practicality now than aesthetics.
    This is not what architects want to hear im sure!

Design doesn't mean a peculiar, fancy or stand out home. Every building is designed by somebody.
    You are trying to design this building to meet your needs. You might not be concerned with aesthetic, but if your only way to achieve a livable space is a bizarre roof, it suggests that maybe you aren't equipped to turn your needs into a design.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Mellor wrote: »
    Design doesn't mean a peculiar, fancy or stand out home. Every building is designed by somebody.
    You are trying to design this building to meet your needs. You might not be concerned with aesthetic, but if your only way to achieve a livable space is a bizarre roof, it suggests that maybe you aren't equipped to turn your needs into a design.

+1
    Aesthetic can be driven to extremes, indeed, our world is largely driven by the extreme versions of it. Where its aesthetics uber alles.

At root though, aesthetic is the outward expression of something that is inwardly right. The former derives from the latter.

To reject aesthetic as a necessary constraint won't actually free you. Abominations are what result from a rejection of constraint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement