Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with buying first DSLR

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This camera is a bit cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+800d&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acanon+800d

It's worth making sure the conversion/credit card charges makes it worth it.

As for the camera, it will do all you have listed and more. The kit lens is also a pretty nice lens all considered, it's very wide at 18mm and the 55mm gives reasonable zoom. So for street/people/timelapse I think it is perfect.

Canon does a very reasonable long zoom lens, the 55-200 EF-S which you might be best to pick up second hand. This would give you a good start on nature photography and it's a fine lens for the money. I have it and have gotten some fantastic shots.

As with everything lens related, there is always better out there; but at a significant cost. Both the kit and the 200mm would be a great start imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very hard to go wrong with the usual suspects (canon/nikon/sony etc.) with your budget. canon and nikon would have a greater range of lenses than most (including variety in the secondhand market) but just be aware that many people end up spending more on lenses than they do on the camera bodies - lest that be a factor in your budget.

you may find that spending less on the body to leave more to spend on lenses may suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

This camera is a bit cheaper on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+800d&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acanon+800d

It's worth making sure the conversion/credit card charges makes it worth it.

As for the camera, it will do all you have listed and more. The kit lens is also a pretty nice lens all considered, it's very wide at 18mm and the 55mm gives reasonable zoom. So for street/people/timelapse I think it is perfect.

Canon does a very reasonable long zoom lens, the 55-200 EF-S which you might be best to pick up second hand. This would give you a good start on nature photography and it's a fine lens for the money. I have it and have gotten some fantastic shots.

As with everything lens related, there is always better out there; but at a significant cost. Both the kit and the 200mm would be a great start imo.

I think i founded through one website for 600eur plus lens, but why I chosed Pc Currys is because I can pay monthly there. Is there any limit when it comes to buying a new or used lens on Canon 800D or I can put almost any lens on that camera ( low-end to high-end )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re the use cases you mentioned - portrait would typically call for a short telephoto - so a 50mm lens on that camera.
    for street, many people would gravitate towards something a little wider than a standard lens - maybe 24mm on that camera.

the main issue you might find with the kit lens is the maximum aperture is an issue for control of depth of field, and for low light work. it's not so much an issue for street photography, but for portraits you might enjoy a lens with a decent max aperture to throw distracting backgrounds out of focus; handily you can get a canon 50mm f1.8 for under €150 easily enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd always advise against financing things like this. If you don't quite have the cash yet I would look second hand for all the gear. You should be able to save a significant amount if you were to buy a 700D or similar, and not lose too much in terms of image quality. A new hobby, paid for on finance is just poor planning imo.

As for the camera, any EF or EF-S lens will fit that level canon, so you're talking the lowest end, to lenses that cost thousands. No worries there. I'd also it would probably be worth just starting your photography with the kit lens and add to you equipment as you progress, you'd be surprised just what you can capture on the kit alone.

• Advertisement

I'd always advise against financing things like this. If you don't quite have the cash yet I would look second hand for all the gear. You should be able to save a significant amount if you were to buy a 700D or similar, and not lose too much in terms of image quality. A new hobby, paid for on finance is just poor planning imo.

As for the camera, any EF or EF-S lens will fit that level canon, so you're talking the lowest end, to lenses that cost thousands. No worries there. I'd also it would probably be worth just starting your photography with the kit lens and add to you equipment as you progress, you'd be surprised just what you can capture on the kit alone.

Thnx. I'll try to consider that. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd buy a 50mm 1.8 for portraits + low light stuff.

A 55-200 or 75-300 (cheaper) will do as a telephoto to start with, just don't expect to be getting tack sharp images of a bird at the other side of a river or whatever. In fact, with the 75-300 I wouldn't expect tack sharp images of anything at all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Currys/PCW/Dixons are pretty useless for consumer rights. Same for HN. If you must buy in store go to Argos or a camera shop.

ED E wrote: »
    Currys/PCW/Dixons are pretty useless for consumer rights. Same for HN. If you must buy in store go to Argos or a camera shop.
    Hi! I'm pretty aware that they are very pointless but I choose them because they offer monthly payments.  Thnx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

lil_kev wrote: »
    Hi! I'm pretty aware that they are very pointless but I choose them because they offer monthly payments.  Thnx :)

Argos does too.

I bought my first DLSR there (Pentax) and was the best price I could find anywhere, came with free Eneloops which was a bonus. No sales bull and they're really good with warranty/returns etc. too - no drama.

• Advertisement

So I think that I have finally decided which lenses will take first.

First I was thinking to get Canon 50mm 1.8 or Canon 50mm 1.4. By searching on Google and Youtube I found that most people are recommending Canon 50mm 1.8. My question is what is the difference between them. 

Which one of these two mentioned above would you choose as a beginner and my third question is if you know if there are the same models that are more advanced and better, an example I'm scouting one Canon 50mm 1.8 for 80 euro on Amazon and does that same Canon 50mm 1.8 comes in better and advanced if exist?

The second lens I've already choose and it's going to be Canon ef-s 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm. If you have any bad or good experience please tell. Thnx :)

Argos does too.

I bought my first DLSR there (Pentax) and was the best price I could find anywhere, came with free Eneloops which was a bonus. No sales bull and they're really good with warranty/returns etc. too - no drama.
    Hi Kenny. I'll double check Argos as well. Thnx :)

First I was thinking to get Canon 50mm 1.8 or Canon 50mm 1.4. By searching on Google and Youtube I found that most people are recommending Canon 50mm 1.8. My question is what is the difference between them. 

Which one of these two mentioned above would you choose as a beginner and my third question is if you know if there are the same models that are more advanced and better, an example I'm scouting one Canon 50mm 1.8 for 80 euro on Amazon and does that same Canon 50mm 1.8 comes in better and advanced if exist?

The second lens I've already choose and it's going to be Canon ef-s 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm. If you have any bad or good experience please tell. Thnx :)

1.8 - It's a lot cheaper for a start. :pac:

Have a look at the Yongnuo 50 1.8, it's said to be slightly better than Canon's own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-YN50mm-Standard-Aperture-Closest/dp/B07DLSYWNC/

I presume this is the F1.4 50mm you mention:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-mm-f-1-4-Lens-Black/dp/B00009XVCZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540910796&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+50mm+1.4

The main difference is the aperture. The F1.4 is significantly wider than F1.8 and thus will allow more light into the sensor and also provide a shallower depth of field. The 1.4 will be a better built lens and has USM focusing which is quieter and faster.

The 50mm F1.8 is a cheap feeling lens, but it is amazing for the money, so if I were you I would get the 50mm F1.8 for starts.

If you have decided on buying the 18mm-135mm lens then it makes no sense to buy the camera with a kit lens at all. You should buy the body only version, which comes with no lens as you would then use your nice 18-135mm as your day to day lens.

Having an 18-135 and 18-55 makes the 55 redundant.

And just to throw my oar in again, I think you're mad to invest so heavily in this from the get go. Like I said the 800D plus kit lens would do what you need quite well and it would be easy to later add to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-mm-f-1-4-Lens-Black/dp/B00009XVCZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540910796&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+50mm+1.4

Yes, that is the one. I wasn't specific about a timeline when I'm going to get those two lenses probably soon. That is why I would like to get a body with lens. How much would be cheaper if I buy just body maybe? Do you think it would be better to get immediately 50mm and just body? Thnx for that :)

One more question, I was thinking to travel more and if you could recommend me which one of those two lenses would you bring on your short trip. Please note that I'm going to travel most of the times with people who don't like photography, so I'm looking some kind of alternative that I don't have to change every 5 mins lens and annoy people around me. :D

Yes, that is the one. I wasn't specific about a timeline when I'm going to get those two lenses probably soon. That is why I would like to get a body with lens. How much would be cheaper if I buy just body maybe? Do you think it would be better to get immediately 50mm and just body? Thnx for that :)

One more question, I was thinking to travel more and if you could recommend me which one of those two lenses would you bring on your short trip. Please note that I'm going to travel most of the times with people who don't like photography, so I'm looking some kind of alternative that I don't have to change every 5 mins lens and annoy people around me. :D

The amazon price is 110 pounds sterling cheaper without the kit lens on the 800d. Prices will vary in other shops in Ireland.

The problem with 50mm on this type of DSLR (crop sensor) is that is quite a long(zoomed) lens. For me at least, in an urban setting if you're looking to capture city streets/crowds/buildings etc then it is completely useless. It's just too long. It is a perfect beginner portrait lens however. So in answer to your question, an 18-135mm would be best suited for travel. It offers a very broad focal range which means you can do almost anything with it. The same for the kit lens, 18-55mm is another good range for travel.

The f1.8 50mm lens is tiny and light, so it's not annoying to carry around at all if that's something that would annoy you. It's about half the size of the kit lens.

I have one and it's my most used lens. I've used it for landscapes, portraits etc. It's not perfect for landscapes but it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Raymond Murray

The canon 50 mm 1.8 is a fantastic cheap lens, good for low light work, on a cropped sensor (1.6 x 50) it near the ideal portrait length of 80 to 100mm and is nearly £270 cheaper than the 1.4 meaning you can afford a decent tripod for your time lapse photography. Its amazing the amount of people who will pay over a 1000 euro for a camera and then expect good results from a flimsy 20 quid tripod.
    Another thing to consider is that you are effectively buying into a system. If you buy a Canon and you later decide that a certain Nikon lens would be great, you face having to sell all your canon gear to buy into the Nikon system or vica versa.
    Also remember that if you later decide to buy a full frame camera from Canon that EF-S lenses wont work on full frame cameras.

What about image quality? Do fixed lenses have better image quality than zoom ones? Thnx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How long is a piece of string?

YN50 better than a 18-200 L? No way. R Mount 85 1.2 better than the same 200? Probably.

If you're at the point of asking these questions your own skill level will be the limiting factor not the glass. Spend a little, learn a lot, then buy more. Remember a 50mm on a "Pro" camera is an 80mm on a crop sensor that all budget models feature. So when 18mm gives them an expansive wide perspective you're 60% tighter. Get an OK, flexible zoom, and work from there.

• Advertisement

What about image quality? Do fixed lenses have better image quality than zoom ones? Thnx :)
    Some people will say they have better image quality compared to a zoom lens but others will say there is no difference. I think you'd be hard pushed to find a difference unless you are comparing two lenses at vastly different price points or you really know what to look for.

The main benefits of prime lenses that are generally undisputed are they are faster and lighter than zoom lenses.

Many people will say they also force you to think more about composition, and while this may be true I am not sure I believe that it's a huge benefit. The main difference is you have to physically move around a lot more when composing a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi Kenny. Do you have any bad experience with them? I've ordered a phone 4 months ago, no problems with the phone. :)

Hi Kenny. Do you have any bad experience with them? I've ordered a phone 4 months ago, no problems with the phone. :)

Yeah, first order arrived on time (phone). Second one went missing for about a month (also a phone) and customer service just ignore you. Others have had worse experiences with photo gear.
    I wouldn't risk anything more than about €150 with them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108458407&postcount=1270

Yeah, first order arrived on time (phone). Second one went missing for about a month (also a phone) and customer service just ignore you. Others have had worse experiences with photo gear.
    I wouldn't risk anything more than about €150 with them.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108458407&postcount=1270
    That's really bad :(

Thnx for advice. :)

Did anybody tried to buy something from https://www.e-infin.com/eu/ and if so, how was your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Did anybody tried to buy something from https://www.e-infin.com/eu/ and if so, how was your experience?

There’s a whole thread dedicated to that site. Do a search.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

GOt mine off them about a year ago. No complaints!

Advertisement