Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meant to be traveling on Friday but passport got stolen

Options
  • 29-10-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So I am meant to be travelling to The U.K. on Friday to see my mother has fallen ill and only today my bag has been stolen along with my passport in it. I don’t think I can get this back is there anything I can do that will allow me to travel or am I just out of luck on this one ? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

So I am meant to be travelling to The U.K. on Friday to see my mother has fallen ill and only today my bag has been stolen along with my passport in it. I don’t think I can get this back is there anything I can do that will allow me to travel or am I just out of luck on this one ? :(

Get the boat?

Fly from Belfast on alternative ID like a driving license

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CONVOman2012

gwalk wrote: »
    Get the boat?

Fly from Belfast on alternative ID like a driving license

I thought you still need a passport for the boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I thought you still need a passport for the boat ?

I don’t think i have ever handed over identification when going by boat (boarding with a car).

If you went to the passport office would they replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it's anyone other than Ryanair, you can fly to the UK using a driver's license. Also you may be able to get an emergency passport at short notice with proof of travel.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Chloedancer

If you ring the department of foreign affairs they can issue an emergency passport within a day. My mother got one last year when her brother was sick abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

If you have flights booked pre today and go garda station report it get a crime # and go into office you will havebit day before flight if presenting your tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

As the others have said get yourself down to the passport office ASAP they can do it within one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Department of foreign affairs will only issue emergency passport if your trip is within 24hours otherwise you need to go to the passport office.

An emergency passport will cost you and you will then need to replace it with a full passport anyway so for the UK try and travel on another forum of ID - the boat usually doesn't check and will take anything really as ID (Irish ferries website lists Bank cards, Photo ID (school or college), Utility Bills, Birth Certificate) Check the websites before hand but I take Irish fairies regularly and rarely am asked for ID either direction - I get asked for the Dogs passport but never my own :D Aer lingus will take drivers licence as ID. Ryanair are the only ones who will require passport or passport card to travel.

If the boat isn't an option and you don't have a drivers licence then get to the passport office asap - bring everything with you (photos, forums etc go via Garda barracks to report stolen passport to get everything signed)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Hi OP,

I'm moving this thread to the travel forum, as it's more suited there than PI. You may also find similar threads there that will answer your question.

Woodchuck

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

As other posters have said, you can legally travel to & from the UK with other forms of ID. Some airlines (only Ryanair?) require a passport though.

2 weeks ago I flew to the UK & back with Flybe on my Irish driving licence - no problem whatsoever.

Hope your Mum is doing OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How are you getting on OP? You didn't say what airline you're booked with. If it's not Ryanair, you're sorted, just use your driving license. If so, at this point your two options are probably to try and get an emergency passport tomorrow or see if you can get a last minute flight with another airline (might be cheaper/more convenient than the emergency passport option).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement