Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Vs Xbox one

Options
  • 29-10-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Sorry for the clickbait title. :p

I sold my Nintendo Switch to CEX yesterday because I wanted to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and I don't have time for 2 consoles at the moment. I usually buy online but the hype got to me so off I went to Smyths. I decided to get the Xbox one s + Forza 4 + Red Redemption 2 for €249. My reasoning was:

- I have a 1080p TV. I still pretty happy with it and wanted to avoid putting myself into a situation where I felt I "had" to upgrade it. So that ruled out the Xbox one x and PS4 Pro.

- The Xbox was nearly 100 euro cheaper that the PS4 500GB + Red Dead and 100s of euro cheaper than the Xbox one x and PS4 pro.

Why is the Xbox so much cheaper than the PS4. Is it purely down to the market? The PS4 is more popular so its a higher price? Both of them seem to have similar specs but the PS4 has more exclusives I guess. Obviously they weren't enough of a factor for me. Xbox has loads of games I want to play + the back catalogue.

I've played it for a few hours and both the console + game seems great. Were there other factors I didn't consider? If you guys were in my shoes would you have still bought the Xbox one x instead, even though I probably won't upgrade my TV for at least another 2 years?

Doom is going to be my next purchase. I had it for the switch and loved it so I can't wait to see how it runs on the Xbox. What other games are must haves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would go with whatever console most of your buddies use. We have XB One and PS4 in the house. I use the PS4, young lad uses XB. Neither of us are able to use the others UI. There is no difference in output to screen.

If the above doesn't matter, then get the cheapest but remember you will have to buy a USB3 external HD very quickly as both consoles space fills very quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'll be watching this thread closely, and when you stop getting good answers, I'll lock it, hope you don't mind OP, but this is a topic that has always caused problems across boards.

In my opinion, Damien360 basically nailed it, buy the one that your friends use. Of course, if you don't plan on playing online/with people, then it get's more complicated.

Basically, the base PS4 is more powerful than the base Xbox One, with PS4 usually delivering a 1080p image, while the Xbox will fall short of that to varying degrees depending on the game. Some people can tell the difference in quality, some can't. The PS4 also has more exclusives, and that probably won't change until the next Xbox generation (three years or so at a guess).

In saying that, being in a distant second place has caused Microsoft to innovate in new, interesting ways. Game Pass is a subscription for about a tenner a month (you can get it half price or so during sales), giving you access to about 100 games while you're subscribed. I believe Doom is one of the games on there. Every Microsoft game is also on there, from release date, so Forza Horizon 4 is already on there (it's brilliant, by the way.) If you're into EA games/Sports games, then EA access is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

Of course, no problem.

Playing online with friends isn't really a factor for me. Most of my friends IRL are Fifa nuts. I'm not getting dragged into wasting hours of time on that game again. :)

Game Pass is really interesting. Definitely worth trying out for a month anyway.

What do you guys think about the X. Would you have bought that instead? Or would it have been a waste of time without a 4K TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah 2013. Such memories.

take-cover-27629.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I have all 3 consoles, PS4 is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This myth of needing a 4K TV for the One X and PS4 Pro needs to die. They're miles better, even if you were using a 720P display.

I have both, and while the Xbox is definitely not without its strong points - Game Pass, EA Access, being the more powerful console, etc - I'd say the PS4 is the better choice as the game exclusives are a lot better.

This myth of needing a 4K TV for the One X and PS4 Pro needs to die. They're miles better, even if you were using a 720P display.

I have both, and while the Xbox is definitely not without its strong points - Game Pass, EA Access, being the more powerful console, etc - I'd say the PS4 is the better choice as the game exclusives are a lot better.

Miles better how? More detail? Better framerate? I appreciate the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have all 3 consoles, PS4 is the best.

Nah I wouldn't say that. I've had all 3 consoles and a PC and they all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

PS4 - Exclusives that suited me better, terrible controller.

One X - Best & most stable online service, great services in EA Access and Game Pass, best looking and performing console. Less variety in exclusives offered.

Switch - Portable, excellent exclusives. Games can be more expensive.

PC - Loads of options. Still getting used to keyboard.

As said before get what your friends have especially if playing online. If your on a budget you'll get an Xbox cheaper and Game Pass/EA Access will keep you going for a long time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Nah I wouldn't say that. I've had all 3 consoles and a PC and they all have their own advantages and disadvantages.

One X - Best & most stable online service, great services in EA Access and Game Pass, best looking and performing console. Less variety in exclusives offered.

As said before get what your friends have especially if playing online. If your on a budget you'll get an Xbox cheaper and Game Pass/EA Access will keep you going for a long time.

I'd agree with this assessment of the various consoles/PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I moved to pc from console around the start of this generation (I've owned pretty much all the consoles before that)

The only one I've been really tempted by was the PS4 and that's because of the amazing exclusives it has. (Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spiderman, etc)

Switch looks interesting but I can't see when/where I'd play it.

From a gaming perspective Xbox has no real advantages for me besides backwards compatibility and what is arguably a better controller.
    Roark wrote: »
    - The Xbox was nearly 100 euro cheaper that the PS4 500GB + Red Dead and 100s of euro cheaper than the Xbox one x and PS4 pro.

Why is the Xbox so much cheaper than the PS4. Is it purely down to the market? The PS4 is more popular so its a higher price? Both of them seem to have similar specs but the PS4 has more exclusives I guess. Obviously they weren't enough of a factor for me. Xbox has loads of games I want to play + the back catalogue.

The PS4 500GB with RDR is also €249.
    You must have been looking at the Pro which is €350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

I suppose it's how you want to view it in the long term. Naturally 4K gaming is the pinnacle to which alot of people will strive for. Currently, only the One X (with Red Dead 2 as an example, referencing Digital Foundry), can output native 4k cleanly and efficiently, and it looks amazing. Minor issues with the PS4 Pro, but noticeable, because it lacks the raw power to handle the game.

I guess it also boils down to what will you play more, exclusives or multiplats? Don't get me wrong, I have both and I loved Spiderman, I loved God of War, but currently I'm playing RDR2 and Black Ops 4 whilst my 20+ hour campaign games gather dust in a corner likely never to be played again or at the very least in several years time.

I believe you should have made the additional investment for the One X for a number of reasons:

1. You don't need 4k to benefit from the massive power increase the One X will give you.

2. Once next Gen comes around, should you decide to upgrade again to either PlayStation or Xbox, you'll have a significantly higher trade in value than if you were trading in the S.

3. If you decide not to trade in and upgrade next generation, the power gap will be less significant between the One X and any new gen console than the S or Pro.

There are more but too many to list.

If you don't mind power, and are not thinking about the long term prospects you may have gotten better value from the PlayStation with its exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yeah I picked up an Xbox One X at the weekend to play RDR2. It looks better on my (1080p) TV and runs smoother than my standard Xbox One.

I will pick up a 4K tv too maybe at Black friday. The 'X' is the best way to play as games generally have a better framerate, or resolution. Or some other enhanced features.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Why didn't you trade in your Switch for an Xbox/PS4 with CEX? You get much more on trade than cash?

TitianGerm wrote: »

That’s a good point about the controller actually. I had the PS4 for about a year before I traded it for the switch (I know there is a pattern here :p) and I remember not loving the controller.

Remouad wrote: »
    I moved to pc from console around the start of this generation (I've owned pretty much all the consoles before that)

The only one I've been really tempted by was the PS4 and that's because of the amazing exclusives it has. (Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spiderman, etc)

Switch looks interesting but I can't see when/where I'd play it.

From a gaming perspective Xbox has no real advantages for me besides backwards compatibility and what is arguably a better controller.

The PS4 500GB with RDR is also €249.
    You must have been looking at the Pro which is €350.

No, the link you added was for Smyths Uk.

Here is the link for the Irish site: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/playstation-4/playstation-4-consoles/ps4-500gb-red-dead-redemption-2-bundle/p/169609

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

What do you value the most?

Playing with friends: buy the one the friends you like the most have.

Exclusive games right now: PS4/PS4 pro

The more powerful console: Xbox One X

Budget option and like to play 4k Blu-ray: Xbox one s.

A massive library of games and the ability to play almost any old console: PC.

For me there's very little incentive to own an Xbox right now as long as you can get a decent gaming PC going.

PlayStation has been doing a great job on the exclusivsles front. Imo 2 of the 3 best games this year have been exclusive to PS. God Of War, Spiderman and Red Dead 2 being the 3.

There genuinely isn't a game I'm looking at Xbox and thinking I have to play that. And if there was I'd probably be able to get it on PC.

That's not to say the Xbox are bad but I think there's just a better overall package available with PlayStation right now in the console world.

The next generation will be very interesting though because Microsoft will look to hit back hard.

troyzer wrote: »
    Why didn't you trade in your Switch for an Xbox/PS4 with CEX? You get much more on trade than cash?

Switch is 250 euro trade in and cash value at cex. There is no difference strangely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Switch is 250 euro trade in and cash value at cex. There is no difference strangely enough.

Fair enough.

Murseyless wrote: »
    I suppose it's how you want to view it in the long term. Naturally 4K gaming is the pinnacle to which alot of people will strive for. Currently, only the One X (with Red Dead 2 as an example, referencing Digital Foundry), can output native 4k cleanly and efficiently, and it looks amazing. Minor issues with the PS4 Pro, but noticeable, because it lacks the raw power to handle the game.

I guess it also boils down to what will you play more, exclusives or multiplats? Don't get me wrong, I have both and I loved Spiderman, I loved God of War, but currently I'm playing RDR2 and Black Ops 4 whilst my 20+ hour campaign games gather dust in a corner likely never to be played again or at the very least in several years time.

I believe you should have made the additional investment for the One X for a number of reasons:

1. You don't need 4k to benefit from the massive power increase the One X will give you.

2. Once next Gen comes around, should you decide to upgrade again to either PlayStation or Xbox, you'll have a significantly higher trade in value than if you were trading in the S.

3. If you decide not to trade in and upgrade next generation, the power gap will be less significant between the One X and any new gen console than the S or Pro.

There are more but too many to list.

If you don't mind power, and are not thinking about the long term prospects you may have gotten better value from the PlayStation with its exclusives.

Good points. I have a little buyers remorse now. I’ll probably keep it for a few months and reassess after that.

Edit: just to clarify. I’m thinking now I should have paid the extra for the x.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Oops!!
    Work VPN routed through UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I always own each console and pc in generation. I dont have friends specific to one or another platform so I jump around. Thing is the platform I play is like a flavour ofthe month. For months I can play only on pc, then I completely switch to ps4, then after few months ill go pure xbox etc.

Right now, the flavour of the month is xboxone x and I dont think it will change very soon. In fact its one of the longest ones I ever had. Since I got one x on January 2nd this year, I haven't played any other platforms much.

Still have only phat ps4, but its exclusive games do not interest me much. On the other hand I love Forza games.
    For me, xbox one x was a massive game changer and made me go full time comsole over pc. Its the first time in my gaming career since NES where I don't feel playing a console a cut down, downgraded game that I could play on pc and enjoy fully. Microsoft doing so well is a clear messege that gamers wanted a stronger, more powerful console even if it costs more.

So when it comes which one is better - for me right now its xbox one X. In fact it so much better that since xbox one x went next to my telly, ps4 went in to my nerd cave and sits somewhere on the shelf collecting dust.

As always, there is no clear answer which console or platform best. It always boils down to the needs of person who uses it. The beauty is that we have so many choices to cater so many different needs.

Great replies guys. Much appreciated. @Mods feel free to close this thread if you like. Thanks.

Great replies guys. Much appreciated. @Mods feel free to close this thread if you like. Thanks.

Was debating whether to leave it open longer, but you've pretty much gotten the best answers going. Hope that whatever you choose brings you many hours of happy gaming!

Thread Closed.
    CIAB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement