Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MasterSocket Wiring

Options
  • 29-10-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ive been having trouble lately with my broadband. At the start of the summer my toddler had pulled at the wire going into the master socket and since then our internet has cut out for anywhere from minutes to a day or two. After some thought I decided to open the mastersocket and see what was wrong, when I opened it the wires were all rolled up into a ball (I find it doubtful that the light tug applied to the cable would’ve caused this). I attempted to connect the wires to the terminals after some googling, this didn’t make any difference good nor bad and I have attempted this one more time since. Getting fed up with this now, have had engineers out from both Eir and my provider none could shed any light on what could be the problem. Hoping you could have an answer for me.
    The wires we have are as follows:
    Blue with White
    White with Blue
    Orange with White
    White with Orange
    Green with White
    White with Green
    (Both blue wires seemed to be wound up and tucked up the back of the socket not near any terminal so unsure if these were ever connected).
    And there is four terminals none of which are numbered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

B_15c wrote: »
    Ive been having trouble lately with my broadband. At the start of the summer my toddler had pulled at the wire going into the master socket and since then our internet has cut out for anywhere from minutes to a day or two. After some thought I decided to open the mastersocket and see what was wrong, when I opened it the wires were all rolled up into a ball (I find it doubtful that the light tug applied to the cable would’ve caused this). I attempted to connect the wires to the terminals after some googling, this didn’t make any difference good nor bad and I have attempted this one more time since. Getting fed up with this now, have had engineers out from both Eir and my provider none could shed any light on what could be the problem. Hoping you could have an answer for me.
    Blue with White
    White with Blue
    Orange with White
    White with Orange
    Green with White
    White with Green
    (Both blue wires seemed to be wound up and tucked up the back of the socket not near any terminal so unsure if these were ever connected).

Do you have any pictures of the wires in the housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 B_15c

cursai wrote: »
    Do you have any pictures of the wires in the housing.

Yes I do but it’s saying I can’t post the images as I’m a new user

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pics don't matter.

One pair works. The rest are dead. Which pair works is not set, you test to find out. If you've had two visits this kind of issue will have been ruled out and it's thus not very likely you fiddling with it will fix the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 classic tiler

B_15c wrote: »
    Blue with White
    White with Blue
    Orange with White
    White with Orange
    Green with White
    White with Green

If an Eir tech and a tech from your provider came out and looked at it and couldn't fix it.. Its unlikely the socket is your problem. It can only be 1 of 3 things.
    1) faulty modem.
    2) disconnected at the roadside cabinet.
    3) someone accidentally disconnected 1 of the 2 cables at the exchange.

Advertisement