Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun plastic wadding

Options
  • 29-10-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Morning, quick question! Does anyone know if the plastic wadding from shotgun cartridges are recyclable? No info on the boxes and surprisingly little online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

I see no reason why not, the outer shells are all mostly LDPE or HDPE , both of which are widely recyclable.
    I dont see why the plastic wads inside would be any different. But as you say information online is hard to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Its a pity the fibre wads are more expensive than the plastic wad cartridges. You don't need to worry about them as they break down once wet and they don't bother animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

So do biodegradable plastic wads

grassroot1 wrote: »
    So do biodegradable plastic wads

how long does it take though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

If anyone does use the fibre wad cartridges - which ones do they use that dont break the bank and where do they get them?? This would be mainly for rough shooting on a farm, pigeons and crows mainly. So 6's and 7's. I hate leaving the wadding around the land, I try and pick them up - but obviously not always very practical to do so.
    Doing a bit of clay shooting is easier as you just send the kids out on a 20-30 yard arc and get them to pick them up. Going rate is 10 per sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Croohur wrote: »
    If anyone does use the fibre wad cartridges - which ones do they use that dont break the bank and where do they get them?? This would be mainly for rough shooting on a farm, pigeons and crows mainly. So 6's and 7's. I hate leaving the wadding around the land, I try and pick them up - but obviously not always very practical to do so.
    Doing a bit of clay shooting is easier as you just send the kids out on a 20-30 yard arc and get them to pick them up. Going rate is 10 per sweet.

You've the likes of Lyalvale, Mirage, Gamebore, Eley, Nobel Sport and so on that do a fibre wad cartridge. They're marginally more expensive than plastic wads but not excessively so. From personal experience shooting a 2 1/2 inch old English job the difference per slab would be less than a tenner for decent cartridges. I've used Lyalvale Express, Eley Grand Prix, Nobel Sport Classic English low recoil and Mirage all in 32g nr6 shot. I found the Lyalvale and Nobel Sport to work best in the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Rosahane

You've the likes of Lyalvale, Mirage, Gamebore, Eley, Nobel Sport and so on that do a fibre wad cartridge. They're marginally more expensive than plastic wads but not excessively so. From personal experience shooting a 2 1/2 inch old English job the difference per slab would be less than a tenner for decent cartridges. I've used Lyalvale Express, Eley Grand Prix, Nobel Sport Classic English low recoil and Mirage all in 32g nr6 shot. I found the Lyalvale and Nobel Sport to work best in the gun.

I also have an old 2 1/2 inch (65mm) chamber gun for game shooting. I used to use Eley Grand Prix fibre wad which are 67mm and marked as suitable for 2 1/2 chambers.
    However, last year I got the Gamebore Regal fibre which are true 65mm and I found them excellent. Out of curiosity I patterned them and the Grand Prix and found that they produced a much better pattern than the Eley - both were 32 grams, This year McCarthys in Prosperous have the Gamebore Regal in both 32 and 30 gramme no 6 which is great as I think the 30 gramme might be even more suited to the gun.

edit: The Regal are €13 a box, the same price as the Black Gold plastic. It's on their Facebook page: Mccarthy's Hunting & Fishing

Rosahane wrote: »
    I also have an old 2 1/2 inch (65mm) chamber gun for game shooting. I used to use Eley Grand Prix fibre wad which are 67mm and marked as suitable for 2 1/2 chambers.
    However, last year I got the Gamebore Regal fibre which are true 65mm and I found them excellent. Out of curiosity I patterned them and the Grand Prix and found that they produced a much better pattern than the Eley - both were 32 grams, This year McCarthys in Prosperous have the Gamebore Regal in both 32 and 30 gramme no 6 which is great as I think the 30 gramme might be even more suited to the gun.

edit: The Regal are €13 a box, the same price as the Black Gold plastic. It's on their Facebook page: Mccarthy's Hunting & Fishing

Similar experience so, the Eley Grand Prix were pure dung in mine as well.

I only do the odd clay shoot with my old short chambered sxs. Its too expensive to do otherwise. Anyone know of a brand thats not too expensive ?

Similar experience so, the Eley Grand Prix were pure dung in mine as well.

I inherited the gun from my Uncle about twenty years ago along with a few boxes of older Eley 30 gramme Grand Prix and Impax 28 gramme. They worked very well for him on mostly small syndicate driven shoots and worked fine for me as well while they lasted.

I think these older Eleys were true 2 1/2 inch or 65mm while the modern ones are 67mm. Also, it's harder to get 30 gramme loads nowadays, most people use 32 gramme.

I think the crap patterns I get from the modern Eleys are down to either the extra 2 mm case length or more likely shot stacking causing the pellets to get crushed when they are constricted by the choke and exacerbated by the increased pellet count in the 32 Gramme loads. Gough Thomas, I think, wrote about this in one of his books where he argued that increased loads aren't always better.

I'm looking forward to doing a pattern with the 30 gramme Regals.

• Advertisement

Eley were having shells made abroad, some in china and in spain, and they were pure muck. They stopped that and got their act together again.

gunny123 wrote: »
    I only do the odd clay shoot with my old short chambered sxs. Its too expensive to do otherwise. Anyone know of a brand thats not too expensive ?

I think you will find it difficult to get 2 1/2 inch cartridges with something like a 28 or 24 gramme load that won't leave you with a sore shoulder let alone cheap ones. Eley do a "Traditional" range with 28 gramme Impax but I have never seen them for sale in Ireland.
    I have searched and Gamebore have a clay cartridge called "Evo" that's 65mm and 28 gramme. I might see if McCarthys will get me a slab.

In the meantime I intend to try a few clays with the 30 gramme Regals.

I think you will find it difficult to get 2 1/2 inch cartridges with something like a 28 or 24 gramme load that won't leave you with a sore shoulder let alone cheap ones. Eley do a "Traditional" range with 28 gramme Impax but I have never seen them for sale in Ireland.
    I have searched and Gamebore have a clay cartridge called "Evo" that's 65mm and 28 gramme. I might see if McCarthys will get me a slab.

I found that the Lyalvale Express in 32g performs excellently, closely followed by the Nobel Sport Classic English which is a 30g cartridge and not a 32g as I stated earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Croohur

Thanks everyone for the info, I found the Nobel Sports NSI Sipe in 32g 7's for 90 a slab with free delivery. So will be giving them a go and see how they pattern. That was from Outdoor Sports..... Cleeres in Clane seem to be selling the Lyalvale Express Special game 28g 6s for 95 euro a slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Why do I keep reading this post as shotgun wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Something you want to tell us ? ;-)

Thanks everyone for the info, I found the Nobel Sports NSI Sipe in 32g 7's for 90 a slab with free delivery. So will be giving them a go and see how they pattern. That was from Outdoor Sports..... Cleeres in Clane seem to be selling the Lyalvale Express Special game 28g 6s for 95 euro a slab.

That's a good price for the Lyalvale..

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Sika98k

gunny123 wrote: »
    Its a pity the fibre wads are more expensive than the plastic wad cartridges. You don't need to worry about them as they break down once wet and they don't bother animals.

The difference in price is only a few €€s a slab (€5 ? Max) 50c a box, doesn’t break the bank and is a bit more environmentally friendly. Unless of course we find the wad is washed in chlorine or treated with something equally ghastly.

I use Saga trap 7’s, fiber wads, 28 gram load. Try John Lambert in Camolin, maybe others stock them. Rio,Snipe, GB, SAGA are all the same manufacturer, just marketing,that’s all.

Sika98k wrote: »
    The difference in price is only a few €€s a slab (€5 ? Max) 50c a box, doesn’t break the bank and is a bit more environmentally friendly. Unless of course we find the wad is washed in chlorine or treated with something equally ghastly.

Its not so much the cost, but looking for cheaper carts for clays, that are both short cased and fibre wad, can take a bit of doing. Eley used to do them, the cheap things with chinese writing on the box, but they were muck.

• Advertisement

Ardee Sports are the Irish distributor for Eley and should have the Impax.
    Rio offer the 21/2” 30 Grm 6 load,in a fiber wad, perfect for an old 21/2” sxs.
    Or 32grm 5’s if you prefer.
    Express do a 21grm 71/2 ,21/2” load. Not sure of the price but being manufactured in the U.K. read a bit pricey !

Advertisement