Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining weight while training.

Options
  • 29-10-2018 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Ive been training for a long time in BJJ, Have noticed in the last year my body is retaining alot more then usual.

Dropping weight is getting alot tougher and constantly feeling bloated. Diet is good, Train 4 nights a week, Do road work. But still struggling.

Is it possible my body type has changed?

Understand getting older has a say on such, but its frustrating. Anyone any tips or routines that focus solely on weight drop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your "natural weight" can over time. But that change is largely down to external fa tore with your control. Diet is still the main factor.
    If your daily intake creeps up 50cals a day. It's probably not an amount you'll perceive. But you'll put on 5lbs in a year.
    Simplistic example, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Sure it’s not muscle? Normally a gain in weight whilst active is muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Sure it’s not muscle? Normally a gain in weight whilst active is muscle.

No im noticing being bloated and looking fatter

Mellor wrote: »
    Your "natural weight" can over time. But that change is largely down to external fa tore with your control. Diet is still the main factor.
    If your daily intake creeps up 50cals a day. It's probably not an amount you'll perceive. But you'll put on 5lbs in a year.
    Simplistic example, but you get the idea.

My diets scrutinised with competing at a decent level. Im at the stage where im contemplating calling it a day. I feel awkward rolling with people now cause im not my usual mass. If that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

TRT Makikomi vs TRT Vitor is the fight we all want to see now!!

Congrats on the weight loss man. Age is only a number and often an excuse to be used by those with no desire to change habits.

• Advertisement

WOW!!! Impressive, well done.

OP Makikomi's right: keep at it. Aging is not for the weak. Get used to it :pac:
    Perhaps you're a bit overtrained and just need a week or two off? Overtraining supresses testosterone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Commanchie wrote: »
    Its childish reaction I know but its hard I thinking im not gonna get past this

Of course you will get past it. Like Makikomi said, bodies change as we get older which for fighters often means moving up weight class. Look at the amount of fighters who move up as they age. It's not a reason to end a career.

If it's fat you are putting on and you are only in your late 20's then I would suggest it's lifestyle issues. Sleep, diet, stress, hydration, cardio. Can you honestly say everything is in check?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well, not everything gets harder...but there's a pill for that now :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

OP, I think you should go to your GP, talk it through with them and get your bloods done. If it's effecting you to the level that you're thinking of quitting something you usually enjoy then you might be off balance somewhere. Hormones effect us mentally and physically. Plenty of plus sized people out there rolling without the awkward feeling. At the very least it would rule it out as an issue and you'd know it's more about getting used to your changing body.

xckjoo wrote: »
    OP, I think you should go to your GP, talk it through with them and get your bloods done. If it's effecting you to the level that you're thinking of quitting something you usually enjoy then you might be off balance somewhere. Hormones effect us mentally and physically. Plenty of plus sized people out there rolling without the awkward feeling. At the very least it would rule it out as an issue and you'd know it's more about getting used to your changing body.

Cheers buddy i took thr lads advice above and went for me levels and bloods checked waiting for results back.

Last few weeks i was really down, so took this week off. Last night done a 5k jog and then some pad work will get back into it monday night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement