Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from PHP to C#

Options
  • 29-10-2018 10:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

I'm currently working as a PHP developer. I'm recently out of college, and I now have 4 months of professional experience. I work for an agency doing PHP and Javascript development. We use the Laravel framework. My development has come on so much during this short amount of time, but Laravel doesn't seem to have loads of job in Dublin.

I've started to learn C# this weekend, and will get move onto [asp.net](https://asp.net) core, once I feel comfortable with the basics of C#. How hard is it to get a job in C#/.net, when my only professional experience is in PHP. Is it as simple as creating a decent sized project to move your skills, or is it harder than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Deviso wrote: »
    Hi
    Is it as simple as creating a decent sized project to move your skills, or is it harder than that?

You won't have any problem if you have a public repo of your own work which demonstrates best practices and clean code. It doesn't even have to be that complex. Even the branching strategy you use gives a picture of where you're at.

Include a cover page with the CV, which isn't usually required in this industry to provide details on the repo and help get yourself past the HR filtering.

It's a wise move to go to C# or Java as that's where the jobs are

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OnlyCombin12

John_Mc wrote: »
    You won't have any problem if you have a public repo of your own work which demonstrates best practices and clean code. It doesn't even have to be that complex. Even the branching strategy you use gives a picture of where you're at.

Include a cover page with the CV, which isn't usually required in this industry to provide details on the repo and help get yourself past the HR filtering.

It's a wise move to go to C# or Java as that's where the jobs are

I'm just looking through threads here and I'm in a similar situation to OP. I want to leave PHP.

Would Java/C# be better to learn for jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm just looking through threads here and I'm in a similar situation to OP. I want to leave PHP.

Would Java/C# be better to learn for jobs?

I'm a .NET developer and have never been a day out of work, including 6 years as a contractor. I'm sure the same could be said of Java.

They are both object orientated and Microsoft ripped Java off in terms of syntax so they're practically the same to read and write. The main differences are the libraries and development tools.

How about searching the job websites for either and seeing which is most in demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OnlyCombin12

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'm a .NET developer and have never been a day out of work, including 6 years as a contractor. I'm sure the same could be said of Java.

They are both object orientated and Microsoft ripped Java off in terms of syntax so they're practically the same to read and write. The main differences are the libraries and development tools.

How about searching the job websites for either and seeing which is most in demand?

Thanks. I've some experience in C#/.Net Core. I've created a small Web API.

From the Jobs front, there seems to be more Java than .Net by about 20/30%. Would you say its ok to apply with my C# experience to Java jobs. They might allow me to skill up on the job?

Advertisement