Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In 30s - BJJ and MMA

Options
  • 29-10-2018 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm in early 30s, played around with BJJ and kickboxing and looking to get really stuck in and work up through belts (only BJJ).

Plan is to build up my striking and ground game and enter any competitions (BJJ and MMA). Am I too late to the game in 30s to start out in these and look to compete?
    Should I just stick with BJJ from a competition perspective?

I do have some previous martial art experience just needs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mackzee wrote: »
    Am I too late to the game in 30s to start out in these and look to compete?

You aren't going to win the world championships. But most people starting at 16 don't either.

There's no reason what you couldn't become very very good at jiu jitus, competitive in master divisions and a blackbelt in 10 years time.

A competitive MMA match is largely down to good matchmaking than athletes ability/potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Mackzee wrote: »
    I'm in early 30s, played around with BJJ and kickboxing and looking to get really stuck in and work up through belts (only BJJ).

Plan is to build up my striking and ground game and enter any competitions (BJJ and MMA). Am I too late to the game in 30s to start out in these and look to compete?
    Should I just stick with BJJ from a competition perspective?

I do have some previous martial art experience just needs

One of my good friends only started just over a year ago (mid 30's, no previous experience). He's entering the MMA Midlands novice competition next month and plans on having an amateur fight next year. He had done a couple of bjj comps and will probably get his blue belt at grading next month.

So basically, no you are not too old. Just limit your expectations when it comes to any MMA career. There is no reason you couldn't have a few amatuer fights, anything after that is probably fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mackzee

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I agree with whats been posted already, and add that (in my experience) most people in their 30's simply don't have the time to commit to a sport like younger people have, ie family and work commitments.

No reason why you can't be competitive, esp with the BJJ.. One lad I had was mid 40's when he came to me (a BJJ training group in work) with no martial arts background at all and has taken medals in the Europeans every year since (although I can only take credit for starting him out, then recommending he go to a civilian club to further himself).

He turned 50 this year and is on his brown belt and still going great.

Speaking from personal experience I started grappling in my 30's, then started mixing it with MMA but I really couldn't commit to everything over the longer term so I concentrated on Judo and got my black belt the week I turned 50.

I'm in my 50's now and still competitive.

So there's lots you can do as an 'older' martial artist, but you might find family and work life a limiting factor.

Best of luck, hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I started at 30, so no, it's not too late.

You probably won't make the same progress as the younger lads in the gym who have less things to distract them, but you'll still make progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Watch out for injuries! The body doesn't bounce back as well as it did in the 20's :(

Advertisement