Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Extractor Fan bathroom, 3 - pole Isolator

Options
  • 28-10-2018 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Have to install a extractor fan in a bathroom that never had one before, I got an Manrose MF100T Mixed Flow In-Line Extractor Fan with Timer. In the bathroom I see the spark left a spur in the corner by the window for connecting a fan at a later stage.

There is good access to the attic for installing the inline fan - I am wondering if I can take the live/Neutral and earth from that spur and bring it to a 3pole isolator, and then take a switched live for the run on timer from the light circuit?

I'm not sure where that spur is coming from, will have to do some following wires back, but would this be the best approach. Also what about fusing, didnt see anything on the instructions about fusing it down further..

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are a number of issues with this. First off there is a legal issue, unless you are a registered electrical contractor you are not permitted to do this.

Leaving that aside what you are proposing to do would not be permitted as you would be supplying the fan from two different circuits, the spur circuit and the lighting circuit. This is not permitted.

My advice is to get a professional in. Electricity and water can be a dangerous mix.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

2011 wrote: »
    There are a number of issues with this. First off there is a legal issue, unless you are a registered electrical contractor you are not permitted to do this.

Leaving that aside what you are proposing to do would not be permitted as you would be supplying the fan from two different circuits, the spur circuit and the lighting circuit. This is not permitted.

My advice is to get a professional in. Electricity and water can be a dangerous mix.

Best of luck.

Thanks, makes sense , I actually have a spark coming in to do this - its just i have a very small window of 2 days to get a large job finished, and I want to make sure I have all I ned as I am supplying the materials

Advertisement