Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempted break in of car

Options
  • 27-10-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

So the night before last someone was in the middle of stealing my car, I got a knock on the door at 3am from a neighbour who heard my alarm and shouted out the window and called the guards so the robbers left.
    They burst the lock and took the ECU cover off and were in middle of plugging it into a tablet or laptop when disturbed.
    Today I was driving on m50 when the car completely shut down, it stopped and then steering wheel locked.
    It must have something to do with the attempted robbery?
    It’s a 08 BMW.
    Will I be able to claim if it was damaged by an attempted robbery?
    The guards came and also next morning they came back to finger print so we can get reports of that if needed.
    Will it affect my no claims?
    Does that mean my insurance will sky rocket next year?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you have Fire & Theft you are covered. The definition includes damage as a result of attempted theft. The claim will be subject to the policy excess. As for your bonus and premium, that is down to your individual policy conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shelly24

If you have Fire & Theft you are covered. The definition includes damage as a result of attempted theft. The claim will be subject to the policy excess. As for your bonus and premium, that is down to your individual policy conditions

Thabks. My husband is saying it might be hard to prove that rage fact that the car died yesterday is anything to do with the attempted theft though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shelly24

Thanks.
    I wonder if there is proof that my car dying yesterday has anything to do with the attempted theft?
    The insurance company might say it’s a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

shelly24 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I wonder if there is proof that my car dying yesterday has anything to do with the attempted theft?
    The insurance company might say it’s a coincidence

Two relevant principles to consider.

1) You, as the policyholder, are required to prove that an insured peril [theft] has happened.

2) Consider the concept of proximate cause.

Proximate cause is the active efficient cause which sets in motion a train of events that bring about a particular result. Example, your house is hit by lightning which sets it on fire and destroys it. What is the proximate cause of the loss ? The lightning, as it set in motion a train of events that destroyed the property.

If you can establish a causal link between the attempted theft of your car and it's subsequent shut down that should establish that an insured event has probably occurred.

There might be a problem if you cannot link the attempted theft to the shut down as insurers might say that it was just a breakdown.

What was the period of time between attempted theft and shut down ? The closer those two events are together in time the more plausible it is that the thieves caused the problem.

I would ask a competent BMW dealer if they can read the ECU to establish if it had been accessed and, if so, when and what was done. You might ask their opinion on the issue of whether or not the two events can be linked as they may be the source of your best technical evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If i was you, id be checking the Wiring Looms in the Door Frame area and also the wiring looms in the Side Mirrors (both sides)

These guys cut the cables with small knifes to short the door into opening. You may have a cut wiring loom which was not as obvious but shorted when you started driving from the movement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement