Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillar/Glass bedding T3x CTR .308

Options
  • 26-10-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Recently picked up a Tikka T3x CTR,
    I've had it out and I have my zero and drops to 300m so far.

It shoots better than I can, 5 rounds @300m smaller than a 50c piece.

However, ever since I've wanted a centerfire, I've always wanted to pillar and glass bed the stock, if for nothing else than to see if I am capable.

Does anybody have any good links to sites or youtube on pillar/glass bedding a Tikka T3/T3x.

I've been googling a lot the last few days and while I can find plenty on Rem 700s etc., there is very little on Tikkas.

(If I mess it up I'll bin the factory stock and replace with an aftermarket)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

If your rifle is shooting like you say it is leave it alone and don't risk messing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If you want to bed it, buy the aftermarket stock and bed it , not the stock that is on the rifle now, as it seems to be ok and doesn't need bedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The most important thing when bedding is to ensure you use enough of the release agent. Otherwise, you could glue the barreled action to the stock and the bedding compound is tough stuff. I watched an apprentice where i was working do it to his personal rifle and the outcome was somewhat amusing, it took him a long time to get it out of the stock without destroying the stock. and he had to remove it all and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Rifter wrote: »

However, ever since I've wanted a centerfire, I've always wanted to pillar and glass bed the stock, if for nothing else than to see if I am capable.

Does anybody have any good links to sites or youtube on pillar/glass bedding a Tikka T3/T3x.

I've been googling a lot the last few days and while I can find plenty on Rem 700s etc., there is very little on Tikkas.

Might just a a good reason why people do it on Remingtons, but not on Tikkas - have you thought about why that might be? Anyhow, it sounds like an expensive way to learn how to 'improve' a rifle that shoots like most people would like to be able to shoot. Watching Mr Midway do it on YT it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. 'Binning' a eu300 factory stock sure doesn't sound like too much fun either, but hey, it's your rifle, right?

OTOH, it could just be a case of improving it worser.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

tac foley wrote: »
    Might just a a good reason why people do it on Remingtons, but not on Tikkas - have you thought about why that might be?

Oh I know, QC at Remington isnt as good and Tikka is a better quality rifle from the factory!!

I don't want to f##k it up and have to bin the factory stock!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭clivej

Rifter wrote: »

I did my Sako 75 .308 and it did tighten up the groups a bit. I put info and photo's in the 'Tips' section

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055444087/2

about half way down the page. I bedded the trigger guard and set the in pillors first, then removed some of the timber where the action sits to allow for the bedding epoxy. Use Devon 10110 (10112 in the UK) as it won't shrink when setting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

5 shots under an inch at 300m?

I wouldn't do a thing to that rifle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Pkiernan wrote: »
    5 shots under an inch at 300m?

I wouldn't do a thing to that rifle!!!

I couldnt believe it myself when I went up to check the target!! I suppose ill leave well enough alone!!

Advertisement