Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house with rad valves and room-stats

Options
  • 26-10-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭

our house has a rad valve on every radiator ... and we have a room-stat downstairs and a room-stat upstairs on the landing.

whats the best way to run this kind of setup? is it better to:

Put every rad valve onto '3' setting (that should regulatearound 19c mark shouldnt it ?) and turn the roomstats up to higher than 21c ?

or

Put every rad valve in the house on '5'/'max' - and put the room-stats to 21'c and let the room-stats control the heat in the house?

whats the most economical way to do it whilst also being a nice constant comfortable heat in the whole house?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Landing wouldn't be a great location for a control stat. Where is the downstairs one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Water John wrote: »
    Landing wouldn't be a great location for a control stat. Where is the downstairs one?

hall

Both of those are called common areas, basically areas one transits through. They only need a low temp. Bedrooms could be at about the same temp, living room and bathroom higher.
    Set the bathroom and living room at 4/5, other downstairs areas 3 and the bedrooms at 2. See how that works out.
    I presume with the two stats you have upstairs and downstairs zones. In many houses the upstairs one can be really turned down. It's a matter of personal comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

hi again andy

you get the microwave back together

you know im only joking of course

Both of those are called common areas, basically areas one transits through. They only need a low temp. Bedrooms could be at about the same temp, living room and bathroom higher.
    Set the bathroom and living room at 4/5, other downstairs areas 3 and the bedrooms at 2. See how that works out.
    I presume with the two stats you have upstairs and downstairs zones. In many houses the upstairs one can be really turned down. It's a matter of personal comfort.

Thanks - will try that. yes Upstairs and downstairs room-stats are different zones - Upstairs i can see zone valve in the hot press on the landing linking to the upstairs rads - downstairs, there must be a zone valve somewhere , but i am buggered if i have ever found it - there is a cupboard under the stairs and a false chipboard cover , so i reckon it could be there.

I think last winter I tried turning rads down in bedrooms and it got quite chilly in there and bedclothes felt a bit damp, the downstairs of the house definitly has cavity wall insulation - the upstairs pretty sure it hasnt. Its one of these dormer style houses and the windows that jut out have those plaster rendered wood material not brick

• Advertisement

Sorry Andy, sounds like that will motor through fuel.

Sorry Andy, sounds like that will motor through fuel.

what the upstairs being built like that you mean?

jimf wrote: »
    hi again andy

you get the microwave back together

you know im only joking of course

hello Jim , no .. blooming wife wouldnt let me take her microwave oven apart! :(

hello Jim , no .. blooming wife wouldnt let me take her microwave oven apart! :(

:P:P:P

Some sensible person in the house.

• Advertisement

Some sensible person in the house.

I hope you arent insinuating my mrs isnt sensible? ;)

I hope you arent insinuating my mrs isnt sensible? ;)

that's a new thread andy :D:D

could run to pages

She did say yes when you asked her to marry you.

She did say yes when you asked her to marry you.

she could have just felt sorry for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

she could have just felt sorry for me :)
    probably loved your inquisitive mind

Advertisement