Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect BER advertised by builder, where to complain?

Options
  • 25-10-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

https://ndber.seai.ie/pass/ber/search.aspx

Builder advertised A2 rating for the newly build houses but homeowners found actual ratings as A3, where can homeowners complain? Can't find any such procedure at SEAI website, so looking for both - any legal as well easy ways?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

were they advertised as A2 before they were built (ie being bought off the plans) and then assessed as A3 after they were built?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gt12

bought off the plan, so advertised before they were built. Correct, then were assessed as A3 after build.

gt12 wrote: »
    bought off the plan, so advertised before they were built. Correct, then were assessed as A3 after build.

there could possibly be a breach of contract then, so id suggest contacting your solicitor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

SEAI cannot do anything as they have a BER.
    Building Control will not do anything as they have complied with the relevant regulatsions to achieve the A3.

This is an advertisement problem and a breach of agreed contract. You’ll have to go legal and start a civil case in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

First off I would go the the builder and see what they would be willing to offer by way of concessions/extra work/cash settlement which would make it up to you. Make sure you keep mentioning the words "breach of contract".

You might get something without going down an expensive legal road.

I'd imagine the remedy would involve looking at the cheapest possible way of getting your A3 rating up to a minimal A2, which means getting it to 50kWh/sqm or less. This could be some freebie given to you, equivalent to the price of a few solar PV panels.
    And when I say "I'd imagine" I mean I know that's what happened in another similar case.

• Advertisement

First off I would go the the builder and see what they would be willing to offer by way of concessions/extra work/cash settlement which would make it up to you. Make sure you keep mentioning the words "breach of contract".

I'd imagine the remedy would involve looking at the cheapest possible way of getting your A3 rating up to a minimal A2, which means getting it to 50kWh/sqm or less. This could be some freebie given to you, equivalent to the price of a few solar PV panels.
    And when I say "I'd imagine" I mean I know that's what happened in another similar case.

Thank you for economical ideas!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A3 to A2 is a big jump. And may require a lot more work. Particularly to the fabric of the building.
    Thank you for economical ideas!

Hold your thanks until after they have been costed. It’s not just as simple as upping your 1kw solar PV array to a 3kw PV array and thinking your BER moves up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I think in this case kc ... the OP might welcome a "high cost" of upgrading from A3 to A2 as I would expect he/she may be seeking a discount of this amount from the purchase price! (Rather than asking the builder to carry out said work.)

The fine print in any contract will have to be read very carefully.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Builder advertised A2 rating
    Irrelevant. What does the contract say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dusteeroads

Victor wrote: »

But deceitful - don't you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But deceitful - don't you think ?
    Perhaps. However, the law is quite clear on such contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

kceire wrote: »
    A3 to A2 is a big jump. And may require a lot more work. Particularly to the fabric of the building.
    It might be, or it might not. It could be only be 1kWhr/sqm (or less), but we don't know as we have not been told where exactly in the A3 band the final BER ended up.

Victor wrote: »

good point, I will check the contract.

Advertisement