Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on manager behaviour? Unfair?

Options
  • 25-10-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I work part time in a busy hotel restaurant (weekends as I’m in college) and have been there for the past 6 years. I like where I work and who I work with.
    When we require days off,we simply write them in the restaurant diary on the date needed off, so our manager and assistant manager can see clearly when writing up the roster.
    In late September, I wrote in the diary that I needed October 28th and 29th off, as I was away. There was only one other staff member (who has now left) who had requested these same days off at the time so I did not think there would be an issue. Around the start of October, our manager resigned and booked her going away party for the bank holiday Sunday 28th. As soon as this was known, a number of staff booked the Sunday and Monday off so they could enjoy the party without having to work the Monday morning. Once our assistant manager got wind of this, she immediately told all staff that no one could have this weekend off, and that it was stated in the diary. When we all looked at the diary, she had only put the note about no staff off on the Friday and Saturday and not on the Sunday, with no reference to meaning the whole weekend.
    When I told her I had a trip booked and wouldn’t be here, she told me she’d see what she could do.
    When the roster for that week went up , she had given me the Saturday and Sunday off, even though I had not asked for the Saturday off. I (wrongly) assumed she had given me the weekend off, however the roster next week (starting Monday 29th) went up today and I’m rostered for the Monday morning, 9-12. I immediately messaged her to tell her I would
    Be away and she told me that no one was allowed it off, reference the general manager. However, 4 members of staff were given it off. She told me to find cover so I immediately put it up in our group chat asking for cover or a swap but realistically, everyone is going out for the going away drinks on the Sunday night so no one wanted to cover my morning.
    Now, am I being unreasonable to wonder why I wasn’t allowed to have it off considering I booked it off a month in advance and she knew I would be away?
    When I questioned this she told me not to question her authority and that she would not be answering messages anymore, and she MUST be phoned. I didn’t want to phone her, as I prefer a written record of conversation so nothing gets lost in translation so I text her and asked politely her email and she refused to give it. She then text back 10 minutes later with the email address.
    I emailed her politely and explained why I didn’t want to call her by phone and that I didn’t book the weekend off, only the 2 days, and she responded by ccing the hr manager in the email, which was very rude and basically said that email or text is not acceptable correspondence and she would not accept it and that if I REFUSED to find cover that I would be expected there Monday morning or I would see her or the general manager.

I felt like I did everything right, booked it off well in advance and I feel personally targeted. I’m going on the trip Sunday and won’t be back till Tuesday, so I won’t see her or our hr manager until afterwards.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Have you got proof of your trip (dates it was booked etc) to show that it was planned in advance. I would contact HR for advice on it and explain what happened. Try and get it sorted one way or another tomorrow or else it will be hanging over you for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Have you got proof of your trip (dates it was booked etc) to show that it was planned in advance. I would contact HR for advice on it and explain what happened. Try and get it sorted one way or another tomorrow or else it will be hanging over you for the weekend

Yep have dates it was booked, have taken photos of the diary showing that the note was not written down for Sunday or Monday so I couldn’t know we were not allowed it off?
    I’ll email hr tomorrow but they should already be aware of it as she has cc’d the hr manager in the email she sent.

I’m wondering now can they fire me for not showing up?
    Like I did try to get cover and have evidence of that, what more can I do?
    I can’t cancel the trip, I’ll lose my money

I think I would be inclined to call the HR person that was cc’d into the email.

Just be calm and professional. Don’t communicate with anybody if you’re full of emotion. Explain what happened and that the trip and time off were requested in advance. Ask where do you stand as it’s not possible for you to be in work on Monday morning. Perhaps suggest that you can work Saturday as an alternative.

I wouldn’t cancel the trip but I’d proceed with caution. You don’t want to burn bridges. You’ll need a reference from them in the future :) All actions have consequences so base actions/decisions on both the present and future.

I’m sure HR will be able to resolve it. If not, then personally I’m not sure it’s a place where I would have much interest in being employed.

Also just to add.... don’t worry what your manager has sent to HR. Not everyone is cut out for a management role and his/her actions demonstrate their suitability. Really the manager should be able to resolve such a minor issue on a local level without making a fuss and definitely without notifying HR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Dear HR Manager

As X (Assistant Manager) has now escalated the matter to you I thought I would explain the situation.

1. In late September, in line with the office practice, I wrote in the diary that I needed October 28th and 29th off, as I had booked a holiday.

2. Around the start of October, our manager resigned and booked her going away party for the bank holiday Sunday 28th

3. A Number of staff then subsequently booked Monday 29th Off for that going away party.

4. I spoke to X and she indicated that she would see what she could do.

5. She amended the roster to give me the Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th off. I think there may have been a misunderstanding where she believed I was away this weekend.

6. When the following roster went up I was rostered for three hours on the Monday morning the 29th when I am on holidays.

7. If I have to cancel my trip I will lose a significant amount of money.

8. I have asked colleagues if they would be available on this morning but due to the party on the 28th they are unwilling to do so.

Can any reasonable accomodation be made?

Signed X

I wouldnt put anything else in about respecting her authority or any of that crap. If she has to escalate matters to HR then she's clearly a piss poor manager and wont last long. Anyone with a bit of cop on would have sorted it out.

Reasonable acomodation is key as in employment law employers are oblidged to make reasonable accomodation particularly if you are there 6 years. If they dont and they discipline you for not turning up you may have a claim.

Dear HR Manager

As X (Assistant Manager) has now escalated the matter to you I thought I would explain the situation.

1. In late September, in line with the office practice, I wrote in the diary that I needed October 28th and 29th off, as I had booked a holiday.

2. Around the start of October, our manager resigned and booked her going away party for the bank holiday Sunday 28th

3. A Number of staff then subsequently booked Monday 29th Off for that going away party.

4. I spoke to X and she indicated that she would see what she could do.

5. She amended the roster to give me the Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th off. I think there may have been a misunderstanding where she believed I was away this weekend.

6. When the following roster went up I was rostered for three hours on the Monday morning the 29th when I am on holidays.

7. If I have to cancel my trip I will lose a significant amount of money.

8. I have asked colleagues if they would be available on this morning but due to the party on the 28th they are unwilling to do so.

Can any reasonable accomodation be made?

Signed X

I wouldnt put anything else in about respecting her authority or any of that crap. If she has to escalate matters to HR then she's clearly a piss poor manager and wont last long. Anyone with a bit of cop on would have sorted it out.

Reasonable acomodation is key as in employment law employers are oblidged to make reasonable accomodation particularly if you are there 6 years. If they dont and they discipline you for not turning up you may have a claim.

Hey, thanks a million for that reply. Pretty much covers everything. Yea I’m really annoyed it has gone this far (as in to HR) over 3 hours. Bit ridiculous

Did you make any progress today?

Advertisement