Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile home

Options
  • 25-10-2018 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, im looking for advice. My partner and myself are looking at buying a high quality mobile home and a small lot of land (less than 0.5 acre) to permanently live.
    The lots we found have planning permission for houses, but cant find much about mobiles. Any one got any info they can help with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Hi, im looking for advice. My partner and myself are looking at buying a high quality mobile home and a small lot of land (less than 0.5 acre) to permanently live.
    The lots we found have planning permission for houses, but cant find much about mobiles. Any one got any info they can help with?

It's been done to death on this forum and posters more knowledgeable than me will tell you exactly why but unfortunately you won't get planning permission to live in a mobile home permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kayladevaney

Chiorino wrote: »
    It's been done to death on this forum and posters more knowledgeable than me will tell you exactly why but unfortunately you won't get planning permission to live in a mobile home permanently.

I thought that myself, but how come i can purchase a mobile home on site, yet cant purchase a site and site it seperately?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I thought that myself, but how come i can purchase a mobile home on site, yet cant purchase a site and site it seperately?

As in on a camping site? Usually they will have limits that prohibit year round (i.e. permanent) occupancy.

Chiorino wrote: »
    As in on a camping site? Usually they will have limits that prohibit year round (i.e. permanent) occupancy.

Yes, im based in cork and theres a site red rebarn, they provide both temp and permanent. U can buy a mobile home through a company called -snip- and have it sited here, which means it is possible to do (have seen a few adds on donedeal providing mobiles on sited land but wouldnt buy through done deal). If these people are doing it it leads me to believe its possible, although difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because the site has planning permission for mobile homes to be installed for the purpose of tourism, and part of that planning permission will be things like proper waste water connections/treatment systems.

What won't get planning is one single caravan, because otherwise we'd have caravans everywhere.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Because the site has planning permission for mobile homes to be installed for the purpose of tourism, and part of that planning permission will be things like proper waste water connections/treatment systems.

What won't get planning is one single caravan, because otherwise we'd have caravans everywhere.

So basically, even if i buy my own plot of land, have all the necessairy things installed(mobile comes with solar panels gas heating for water etc) i just need sewage and a few other bits, i still cant place my own mobile home on the land i own?

So basically, even if i buy my own plot of land, have all the necessairy things installed(mobile comes with solar panels gas heating for water etc) i just need sewage and a few other bits, i still cant place my own mobile home on the land i own?

Correct.

Correct.

Does anyone else see how much b**** that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Last part of your reply answers your question. As said by another poster if what you wanted to do was possible, the countryside would be awash with mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Does someone check whether you live there permanently? I know that where I live there is a caravan / mobile home park that has a fair group of Polish lads living year-round. I also know of a couple who have been living in one on their land for over 10 years as they are building their house as they can afford it, without a mortgage. I assume if you don't actually announce that you are living in it permanently, nobody will bother you.

• Advertisement

Last part of your reply answers your question. As said by another poster if what you wanted to do was possible, the countryside would be awash with mobiles.

and what a wonderful solution it would be for affordable housing for the thousands of people homeless and paying half their wage in rent.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Does someone check whether you live there permanently? I know that where I live there is a caravan / mobile home park that has a fair group of Polish lads living year-round. I also know of a couple who have been living in one on their land for over 10 years as they are building their house as they can afford it, without a mortgage. I assume if you don't actually announce that you are living in it permanently, nobody will bother you.

My problem would be as im purchasing land all that would be there is a mobile that has a front and back decking, think it would be too obvious as nothing would be beisde it and land area too small to even consider building a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

and what a wonderful solution it would be for affordable housing for the thousands of people homeless and paying half their wage in rent.
    Absolutely terrible solution, one off housing has already an incredibly high cost both socially and infrastructurely. Suggesting then allowing people further blight the environment with unsuitable dwellings for permanent living ....I don't need to go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

My problem would be as im purchasing land all that would be there is a mobile that has a front and back decking, think it would be too obvious as nothing would be beisde it and land area too small to even consider building a house.

That could be an issue I'd imagine. If the plot was big enough that you could say "I'm only here till the house is built" you'd probably get away with it.

Have you every lived in a caravan in winter? Housing thousands of poor people in caravans is is not a wonderful solution to anything.

Also, you have trivialized the sewerage issue. Are all these caravans going to have fully compliant waste water treatment systems costing more than the caravans? What about drinking water and electricity connections? What about fire safety? Do you read the news?

Part of the reason that housing is scarce and expensive is because it is constructed to much higher standards than previously.

Gravelly wrote: »
    That could be an issue I'd imagine. If the plot was big enough that you could say "I'm only here till the house is built" you'd probably get away with it.

You would not, because there would be no planning permission for a house.

Absolutely terrible solution, one off housing has already an incredibly high cost both socially and infrastructurely. Suggesting then allowing people further blight the environment with unsuitable dwellings for permanent living ....I don't need to go any further.

You can buy pod home, mobile homes and timber homes with better building infrastructure then a large majority of homes up for purchase or rent. Introduce these homes, regulate them so they compley with simple housing regultions (insulation heating kitchen etc). U can buy som top notch mobiles with front and back pourches, intereiors to die for, solar panels etc.. for 50 grand, a small lot of land (normally fit 2 or 3 homes) can suddenly fit 5 mobiles, make these people fench around their own properties and boom. Just because mobile homes are associated with the travelling community in ireland people are too afraid to do it.
    Pretty sure the housing standards of these homes would be mucccch better than a cardboard box on the side of the street. If ireland doesnt stop people building multistory manishions and introduce smaller, cheaper living spaces, working people like myself will have no options but to begin developing shanty towns. 20 years from now ireland is going tk be a dive. Huge growing population, and ur cheapest home is a **** hole for 250 k plus. Anybody renting (1000+ min) working min wage jobs havnt a hope of ever getting a mortgage.

Have you every lived in a caravan in winter? Housing thousands of poor people in caravans is is not a wonderful solution to anything.

Also, you have trivialized the sewerage issue. Are all these caravans going to have fully compliant waste water treatment systems costing more than the caravans? What about drinking water and electricity connections? What about fire safety? Do you read the news?

Part of the reason that housing is scarce and expensive is because it is constructed to much higher standards than previously.

Obviously if you introduce them as an actual plan, yes. These things are easy fix, just like all these issues were in place when people began building standard homes and we overcame that pretty easy. Do u read the news ? No point building homes relying on electric etc cause were running out of these things. Small houses with the appropriate insulation, plumbing and solar panels can be purchased for 50 grand. Allow people to only set these homes up in areas which have the ammenties they need, the exact same as someome building a house.

You can buy pod home, mobile homes and timber homes with better building infrastructure then a large majority of homes up for purchase or rent. Introduce these homes, regulate them so they compley with simple housing regultions (insulation heating kitchen etc). U can buy som top notch mobiles with front and back pourches, intereiors to die for, solar panels etc.. for 50 grand, a small lot of land (normally fit 2 or 3 homes) can suddenly fit 5 mobiles, make these people fench around their own properties and boom. Just because mobile homes are associated with the travelling community in ireland people are too afraid to do it.
    Pretty sure the housing standards of these homes would be mucccch better than a cardboard box on the side of the street. If ireland doesnt stop people building multistory manishions and introduce smaller, cheaper living spaces, working people like myself will have no options but to begin developing shanty towns. 20 years from now ireland is going tk be a dive. Huge growing population, and ur cheapest home is a **** hole for 250 k plus. Anybody renting (1000+ min) working min wage jobs havnt a hope of ever getting a mortgage.

Your rage is understandable, but to address one factual misunderstanding, there are no "simple housing regulations". There are building regulations which are not simple or cheap to comply with, and those "pod homes" don't comply with them.

These things are easy fix
    These things are not an easy fix. You are effectively proposing to weaken the building and planning regulations in order to decrease the cost of constructing housing. The result of that is that all the good work in the last ten years improving standards of construction will be undone.

In any case, a large chunk of the cost of building housing are taxes and levies, and actual building costs are only part of the cost of buying a new build. The other part is land costs, and land near where people work is not cheap, for various reasons.

There are solutions to these problems, such as taxpayers funding development levies, but caravans are not among them.

To address another of your points about "electricity running out", that why we have regulations about energy efficiency. Which are expensive to comply with.

• Advertisement

Your rage is understandable, but to address one factual misunderstanding, there are no "simple housing regulations". There are building regulations which are not simple or cheap to comply with, and those "pod homes" don't comply with them.

Maybe some dont, but ive found plenty of mobiles that compley to housing regulations at a higher standard then the house im currently renting. As i keep saying, if these homes were introduces and regulated, theyre sure as hell guna be cheaper than a house. 50 grand for a mobile, 50 grand for plot of land with water, septic tank etc.. 100 grand is a quater of the price for a house. Plus, mobiles are offered on no apr finance, 600 a month for 5 years and urs (just an example). That sounds much better than borrowing 450 grand mortgage and paying bank back 600 grand over 25 to 50 years. Ill be dead before my mortgage is paid.

These things are not an easy fix. You are effectively proposing to weaken the building and planning regulations in order to decrease the cost of constructing housing. The result of that is that all the good work in the last ten years improving standards of construction will be undone.

In any case, a large chunk of the cost of building housing are taxes and levies, and actual building costs are only part of the cost of buying a new build. The other part is land costs, and land near where people work is not cheap, for various reasons.

There are solutions to these problems, such as taxpayers funding development levies, but caravans are not among them.

To address another of your points about "electricity running out", that why we have regulations about energy efficiency. Which are expensive to comply with.

Solar panels can be bought installed into mobiles.
    Anyways, got the advice i needed! Thanks everyone

Maybe some dont, but ive found plenty of mobiles that compley to housing regulations at a higher standard then the house im currently renting.
    There is no such thing as "housing regulations". There are minimum standards for rented accommodation, there are building regulations, and there are planning regulations.

The fact that you're currently paying a lot of money to rent a crap property is not a reason to introduce a load of other slightly less crap properties. The solution is for the government to increase the minimum standards for rented accommodation so that your rental accommodation is not crap, and/or do it's job and increase the supply of good quality new housing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

There are no short cuts
    These are the rule of state we live by

If you don’t agree contact your local td

Enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8 questionsgirl

Can anybody please explain to me why there are hundreds of mobiles up and down the country on private sites taht have been there for years without removal or issues with planning?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

some will have planning permission

some will not

some will simply be stored

some will be transient

some will be on licensed parks

Advertisement